Chapter 3

"Heretic!" The Crystalline Eminence exclaims, pointing at Thurma accusingly.

Thurma glares back at him. "Don't shout at me."

The Eminence turns to the crowds of frightened and confused pilgrims. "You all heard the demon! It wants to shatter the Crystal! To restore the dark powers of the past and diminish the peace of the Gelfling nation! Surely, the foulest crime imaginable?!"

Mavra glances at Thurma, noticing how she was starting to get worked up. Feeling concerned for the Fireling, she quickly interjects, "Now, hold on. We shouldn't jump to conclusions. We should all handle this with care, and continue to listen to Thurma. She just wants to ... to help save her people," She glances at Thurma and smiles, "Which is a very noble thing to do."

Thurma feels herself calm down and her mouth twitches into a small smile, feeling grateful that someone understood. The Eminence rolls his eyes and bows a little mockingly to Mavra. "Pardon me, Lady Mavra, but clearly you weren't listening to that demon's blasphemy. She wants to shatter the Crystal! She wants to doom us all!"

Mavra furrows her eyebrows and one-ups the Eminence. "I'm sure that's not--"

"--How do you know? Hm?"

Mavra stays tense and quiet. She looks around at the eyes piercing her back and takes a step away from the Eminence. Thurma's hands clenched into fists; her anger building up again. Bully, she thinks, an irritated look on her face. The Crystalline Eminence points at Thurma again. "Guards! Seize her!"

That's it, Thurma thinks, watching as the guards stepped closer to her. "I said stop ... SHOUTING!" She yells, her flames spreading out and widening all around her, scaring off the soldiers.

Mavra takes a jump back as well, holding herself. The Eminence eyes Thurma fretfully, turning to the pilgrims. "The ... the blessings of the Crystal upon any gelfling who seizes this monster!"

The Commander adds, "Volunteers!"

Mavra stares at the Crystal, feeling its light call to her. She glances at everyone before slowly making her way behind the Crystal. Please, tell me what's wrong, she thinks, gazing upon the great Crystal. She glances at her parents who were busy watching the Fireling-scene unfold. Mavra trains her eyes back onto the Crystal, reaching her hand out.

Slowly.

Unsurely.

Curiously.

As her fingertips graze the Crystal, she feels a sudden surge of energy. It felt as though someone else pulled the palm of her hand towards the Crystal. She becomes rigid. White light surrounds her vision. Flashes of the future play through her mind like a film.

"What's ... What's happening? Wait ... i-is that ... Kensho! The shard. Thurma. Me. We're running. We're traveling. Where to? Where are we going? The shard ... Thurma's people. The ... light of Thra. Deep ... deep below. Father. Mother. My people. I think--no, I believe Thurma was destined to take the shard from the Crystal! ... Wait ..." Mavra furrows her eyebrows in puzzlement when she sees her body limp on the floor of Thurma's homeworld. "Th-That's me! But ... what happened? Am I ... am I dea--"

Mavra quickly takes her hand away from the Crystal and stumbles back in awe. How did I do that? I have never heard of a gelfling being able to dream fast with the Crystal, she thinks. She glances around, seeing how no one noticed her. How did they not see me, she thinks. She looks back at Thurma, who was still fighting off the soldiers. Thurma ... we need to get that shard, Mavra thinks, staring at the Crystal intensely. Her thoughts were cut short when Kensho's voice resounded from one of the entrances to the chamber. "Um. Excuse me? Sorry to interrupt. Should I, uh, still be watching the Pilgrim's gate, sirs? There's nobody left out there."