Chapter 71 - Gabriel POV

Start from the beginning

"Name Rusty," Angel cooed at the little man that apparently wanted to drink in peace, without his mother petting his cheek.

.

.

.

So focused on Angel, Chelsea and Nona I hadn't noticed that Jack, Molly, Jamie, Andrea and Greta had left the room.

We need to talk sweetheart, I told Chelsea when I remembered what Declan said about our safety. He had helped so much already, why would he lie now? Especially as Catalena was his mate.

Chelsea nodded, "Angel I need to go talk to Gabriel, Nona and Declan will stay with you."

"Yes, I'll be back okay..." Chelsea replied to an unspoken question, picking up the camera bag, she gave it to Violet, who turned off the video camera.

"Take pictures of her and babies," she smiled one last time at Angel and the second she was at my side in the hallway my hand linked with hers, the sparks taking over my right hand up my arm. Pulling her to me against my chest, I looked down into her beautiful eyes, the love I felt reflected. I didn't deserve Chelsea or Ava, or anything I had, but I was fucking selfish and I wanted it all. I wanted to make planned activities for Chelsea and Ava, taking them out, watching them have a great time, smiling, laughing. Chelsea was mine and worth all the shit I went through to get her, more than that even, and whoever was stupid enough, after what I just did to Rosa's pack, to attack us, had another thing coming.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ RUSSELL POV ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

I hung up the phone, leaving the room and heading outside on the porch, down the path; knowing and dreading the conversation that I would be having once I entered my parent's home. It wasn't something I wanted to do, the news that would hurt another made me feel – it was too much but I hated being in this position, yet it was my own fault. I knew that.

I couldn't put it into words but as I made way to face the music, face all the shit that had been piling up for eight months, the stomach pains I had been experiencing for the last five hours hit me hard. I roared out angrily in pain, doubling over, falling to my knees, the cramps excruciating, until blackness took me over and under as I fell face down in a heap.

.

.

.

"Baby! Russy! Mom, he's coming around," I heard Amara saying, but couldn't willfully open my eyes at all.

"Russy, open your eyes baby?" she pleaded. Slowly I tried, blinking seeing blurry images of my entire family circled around me, the people I loved, except Angel. I closed them again, remembering and realizing that the pain that caused my blackout was gone.

Completely.

What I didn't understand was why I wasn't in a hospital? Surely they had heard my yelling, but why not take me to a hospital?

I groaned as I tried to come up to a sitting position, Amara helping. Rubbing my face roughly I finally opened my eyes again, everyone still around me, but seated in chairs waiting expectantly. But I wasn't sure what I was going to tell them, it felt as though my legs were being spread, yanked apart, like my skin was being split open by a hot iron. But it wasn't my stomach, as I had thought; it was my balls they felt as though they were being crushed, repeatedly.

I looked down, closing my eyes after and there was... there was this – this shift, inside my body and mind.

"What happened baby?" Amara cooed, worry etched all over her face and features, seeking answers. Looking around again, my mother was next to my father, but sitting on the longer sofa, across from us was Becca, Nessa and McKenna; Thayer sitting on the armrest facing me. Behind me, on the lounge was Dana my adoptive sister and her husband Darren, Amara's brother. I see Catalena; arms crossed leaning against the wall and unlike everyone else her features gave nothing away, in fact it was void of any and all emotion. Her posture more statuesque than ever.

"How long was I out?" I asked no one in particular, "two hours! You were growling, groaning and thrashing around, but Catalena wouldn't let us take you to the hospital!" Amara said outraged, but I just nodded. Turning to Amara, I asked what no one was probably expecting.

"Why did you never want or ask for Angel to join us when we went out? With Sana? To the park? The Zoo? Shopping in Grand Rapids?" Amara looked at our family, who from a side glance I could tell they were all confused as well with my question. My father peering at my head, I rolled my eyes; I didn't have a head injury.

"She's gone now baby? Why – why would you ask that?" she said flicking her eyes between Catalena and her brother, "You know I thought she was a bad example for Sana, but they were family outings, so Sana, you and I could build a good relationship," she answered her hand on my thigh, taking it I placed it on her own leg, moving back to take in the whole room.

"But for months... not once Amara?" I countered again.

"You are her caretaker Russy, I could see you wanted more time to yourself but she wouldn't let you out of her sight, she was entirely too dependent on you," Amara replied, clearing her throat before continuing, "What does it matter now? She's not coming back, those people took her things," Amara said glancing at Dana before focusing on Catalena for confirmation, but Catalena just looked at me instead.

"Right?" Amara said her voice raised and one flick of my eyes to Catalena again and I could swear she was smiling.

"Angel is pregnant!" I blurted out not meaning to say it that way at all, but I watched Amara ignoring the reactions of my other family members. They all knew of the encounter I had with Angel before she was taken, plus I couldn't look at Dana. I knew it would hurt Amara, but I hated the way it would hurt Dana, I was gaining a child while she was losing Cody.

Amara began shaking, her whole form vibrating, "P-pregnant?" she whispered, choked out, her eyes filling with tears that were already running down her face, over her defined cheeks when I nodded.

"It – it was only one time..." she said hoarsely, voice pained and shaky as before, "Yes," I confirmed, and she looked down.

"So – so she's coming b-back? P- pregnant with y- your b-baby?" still with her head down, I could see her shoulders shaking but I couldn't make myself move to gather her in my arms and comfort her. Why didn't I want to do that? I was with Amara, we had the history, could have everything we wanted, but now I couldn't make myself do that. Console her, what was so different between Amara and Angel? I could never comfort Amara the way I wanted to bring solace to Angel... with Angel I wanted to carry her burden, take away all her fears, the memories of assholes that mistreated her before I found her...

I looked at Amara, steeling myself, she lifted her head, wiping away at the tears and gave me a half-hearted smile, "I guess..." she shook her head, clasping fingers on her lap, "we will just have to deal – deal with this," she nodded her head cocked to the side. But I just looked at her in confusion, what did she mean by 'deal with this?'

"You – you and I – I can – we can do this, raise your child together, we'll be a family. You, me, Sana and the baby... there's an extra room-" that was all she was able to say because while I looked at her in confusion then horror, at whatever plan she was developing, she was cut off by Catalena laughing loudly.