His Past

Mandy tries to focus on her book as the quinjet flies to New York. They are still over international waters, but coming up on US territorial waters in a few minutes. That will put them at twelve nautical miles from land, and then only a few minutes from Stark Tower. During the entire flight, Mandy tried to pass the time, but always found herself worrying over Loki. She ended up helping Selvig get some smaller parts of the machine put together. Selvig is nice enough. Very excited about all of this (that would be the scepter talking). He explained what everything did to Mandy in simple terms, something that someone that didn't go to school for years to be a physicist can understand. But for the past hour, Mandy has been stuck with just her book, trying to focus on the story.

Loki's projection had left as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent had come to interrogate him. Mandy hopes that he isn't hurt, that he's safe. But after what Clint told her, she's worried. As for Clint, she hasn't heard from Clint either. Clint had given her a satellite phone, just in case one of them needed to contact the other. Clint had promised to let her know when they were coming as well. But Mandy has received no word.

Soon enough, the quinjet lands. The man that had picked Mandy up in Stuttgart helps her up and pulls her with him off the quinjet. Mandy doesn't fight back against him or complain about how rough he is with her. She keeps her head down, trying to restrain herself from running to find Loki.

"There's no need to be so harsh." Mandy instantaneously looks up in the direction of Loki's voice. The man immediately stops pulling at Mandy, instead walking at her pace. Loki looks unharmed, but Mandy knows he could be hiding his injuries. He smiles at her and walks to her. "I apologize for his behavior, my apprentice." Loki puts his hand on the small of her back and guides her with him.

"Are you hurt?" Mandy asks quietly.

"No. Thank you for the concern," Loki says softly. "How have you been?"

"Worried."

Loki looks at her in concern. "You need not fret over me."

Mandy bites her lip to stop herself from saying anything, choosing to instead try to show Loki her thoughts. "Sorry I...I was so worried about you. Can, can I hug you? Not necessarily here, if you don't want them to see, but it would help if I could hug you."

"You may, and you may do it here. It may be helpful if they see it."

Once she has permission, Mandy latches onto Loki, arms wrapped tight around his torso, head rested against his shoulder. Loki in turn wraps his arms around her, pulling her closer. He rubs his thumb into her back in a circular motion. His touch is soft and gentle, as it always has been when directed to Mandy. Mandy tightens her grip on him. "I'm scared," she tells him quietly.

"Tell me about it," Loki tells her softly.

"I am scared things aren't going to work out."

"They will, I promise."

Mandy nuzzles her head into his shoulder. "I just want you to be safe and happy."

"Thank you for your compassion. I promise everything will go according to plan." The two of them stand in silence, hugging each other. "What's the first thing you want to do when I've conquered your world and it's safe for you to go out?" In other words, what's the first thing Mandy will do when Loki is arrested and she's free to live a normal-ish life.

"Travelling would be fun. This is the first time I've left the UK. I may as well see what there is to see in America since I'm here."

"Such as?"

"Well, I don't know what will still be open after, y'know, but I'd love to see anything at Broadway. The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and Redwood National Parks must be beautiful. And I'm sure there are plenty of things I haven't ever heard of that I can visit." Mandy smiles against Loki's shoulder.