Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Mandy slowly walks home from Westminster High. She is the drama teacher there. She hums "Once Upon a December" from Anastasia, one of her favorite musicals. She loves the musical so much that she named her mousy brown cat Anya, the name Anastasia took on when she fell victim to amnesia. The theatre kids at Westminster High would perform Anastasia in a month. It is quite exciting for Mandy.

Mandy is ten walking minutes away from her small home. Ten minutes away from holding Anya. Mandy turns down a street and hears a loud bang. She abruptly turns her head to find where the sound came from. A small section of this block is normally out of repair. The owner of the land doesn't seem to care, despite the city constantly coming after him for it. Normally, the land was empty. Despite the owner, Mr Kent, not using the property for anything, he is not afraid of prosecuting trespassers. Hardly anyone ever went on his land. But today seemed to be an exception.

Mandy sighs. Usually, the trespassers were new around there and didn't know any better. There have been multiple people Mandy has saved from the anger of Mr Kent by quickly getting them off of the property. Mandy assumes it is a similar situation she can handle. She quietly walks into the old building, noting how much it needed fixing. It was no use to Mr Kent. He couldn't rent it out, not when there are laws about what owners must have fixed for their renters. He really ought to either fix it up or sell it to someone who will.

Mandy listens for any sign of life. She hears some people talking downstairs, in the basement. Mandy starts to walk down the stairs, mentally preparing herself for the confrontation. She hopes they will listen to her and let her help them; it would be a nasty lawsuit if they were to be caught. Mandy hears faint footsteps near her.

"Don't move," a masculine voice says behind her. Mandy raises her arms in surrender and turns to the man behind her. She doesn't know what she expected, probably just some kid fresh out of high school, trying to sound intimidating. Unfortunately for him, Mandy's father was a police officer. She could protect herself in a fist fight. But the man behind her is not who she expected.

She turns to find an arrow pointing at her chest. Her eyes widen in shock and fear. The man is in all black. He has short blonde hair and insanely bright blue eyes. Something about his eyes appears...off. It doesn't look natural. "What are you doing here?" the man asks. He sounds American.

"The owner, Mr Kent, he hates it when people trespass, I just wanted to warn you!" Mandy hurriedly says. "If he catches you, you'll be in for a nasty lawsuit you won't win!"

"This Kent person won't be a problem…. But you will."

Mandy begins to hyperventilate. She begins to grow slightly dizzy because of the inefficiency of her breathing. She thinks back to what her father taught her to do in a situation like this. While Mandy can hold her own in a fist fight, she doesn't know the first thing about fighting a man with a bow. She does what she deems the only logical thing, despite worrying what consequences it will have: she screams, her whole body shaking, backed against the wall.

Before she knows it, the archer is closer, with the arrow now gently poking Mandy's chest. Mandy stares at the arrow in fear. Well, that didn't help, she thinks.

"Bad move," the man says. Mandy closes her eyes and braces for impact from the arrow. Impact that never comes.

"Now, now, what do we have here?" a man that sounds English says. Mandy opens her eyes to see a man with long, black hair, in black and green leather standing nearby. 

"She almost walked right in on us," the American says.

"Did she now? Well, that's no reason to kill such a pretty little thing, Agent Barton." Immediately, the American points his bow away from Mandy. Her lip quivers as the English man comes closer to her. The man notices and smirks. "And what would you be doing here?"