Chapter 18: A flying elf

It was...more pleasant that the two expected. Like a warm shower passed over the two. The warmth even got to Danny's ice core. So pleasant...it made him want go back and forward through the portal. But he had a job to do, just like his companion. Speaking of whom. The half ghost looked to the side and saw Serana still standing near him. She smiled up at her boyfriend and gestured for them to go further.

The place was dark once more. The second they stepped on the muddy ground, the shine of the shrine subsided, leaving lighting to some small cane-like plants. They also had tulip-like top and smelled awful once you get closer. Their glow also disappeared at contact, when they shriveled, as if trying to hide from Danny's touch. To his surprise, even Serana didn't know what this thing was. They just continued their path through the dark caverns. It was getting more and more pressing on the two, and Phantom could understand why the vampire didn't want to come to such places anymore.

In many aspects, the cave was similar to the previous one, except for the purplish glow covering it. Neither of the two could really understand if they were descending or going higher. Each time they jumped off a small cliff, it was followed by a steady path obviously leading higher. What made Danny curious and Serana more unsettled, were those strange holes, which looked like entrances to some sort of nest. Because they were the entrances, used by the Falmer to move more quickly. Maybe to keep their offsprings deep inside where no living soul could get them. Or to traverse through the caves via the paths unknown.

Then they heard the sounds of another waterfall. This time, however, the couple was careful, because there was no telling to whom that source of light belonged. They sneakily peeked around the corner, and Danny got an eyeful at the beings they talked so much about.

Falmers looked horrible. They were always hunched, and it made them twice as small. Their skin was white, almost unnoticeable with dirt and some other stuff on them. It looked harsh and rough, with many wrinkles. The pointy ears were a reminder of their elven heritage. The most striking trait were their eyes. It seemed as if the skin had grown over them, completely encasing the eyes and rendering them blind. Some wore strange black armor, which seemed to be made of some sort of black chitin.

The same material was used in the primitive huts. Strange, considering that there was no need for houses within the caves. Maybe Danny just knew very little of the Stone age. There were also fences, where the Falmers kept some slimy worm-like creatures, to whom the chitin belonged, judging from their natural protection. Hard to say in what age the mutated elves lived, it depended on how complicated working with such material was. He did not know that either.

"So, what's the plan?" Danny whispered.

"I don't know. Be careful, though, they tend to poison their weapons."

"I am immune to the stuff. Hey, I have an idea."

"Wha..."

Serana managed to hold back a yelp when Danny suddenly took her once again. He moved the hand to his mouth and made a 'shh' motion. Now the vampire understood his plan. Phantom wasn't making any sounds while floating. As long as they stayed quiet, the blind creatures wouldn't take notice, which would in turn make their journey quicker and less dangerous. Not that they had been a massive threat to begin with.

So they floated right past the elves, careful not to touch anything. And did it work out just fine. They didn't even notice a couple of the undead moving right between them. It made Danny hold a laugh inside. Better not to blow this up. Finally they landed near the natural bridge over the pit. Quietly they went further, trying to avoid...

Well, here came their luck. On the other end of the very narrow bridge appeared a Falmer. The creature slopped on the wet ground, not being able to see them. It was either the collision or jumping away. Serana gestured for Danny to jump off, as he could fly. He was confused, but floated nearby, the water from the waterfall leaving drops on him. The vampire soundlessly took her dagger, waiting for the right moment. Finally, she clapped its mouth and swiped her blade across the neck. The dead body was dumped in the pit with no visible bottom. Danny just watched, glancing at the small camp. The others hadn't noticed.