Chapter 14: Instances of fear

"Where did he go?" Serana mumbled to herself.

She shouldn't be surprised, the vampire guessed. Danny was a ghost, he could get anywhere, anytime, and if he wanted to be unseen, no power in the world could find him. Actually, there was something she could do. Thank Magnus for creating magic of all kinds. In Serana's palm appeared a tiny purple ball, which flickered with transparent flames. The palm unclenched as she muttered an incantation and the ball disappeared.

Immediately a small red smoking dot appeared in her sight, visible through every wall and ceiling. Serana then started searching for the ways to get there, because the place he was in was high above. Hopefully he wasn't floating in a middle of nowhere, otherwise she wouldn't be able to get to him.

She went up the staircases, through the corridors past the many curious students and teachers of arcane arts, all dressed in colorful robes, the teachers especially, according to their specialization. No wonder she stood out so much. The place was huge, like a real castle or palace. Not as big as her home, though.

Finally Serana made it to what turned out to be the outside. It was very accessible and the paths on the absolutely flat roof obviously were meant to be walked on. Serana looked around and saw Phantom leaning against the railing. It was snowing, but, as has been mentioned before, neither was worried about just standing there out at the cold. The thin crunching snow gave out the vampire's presence, but Danny didn't turn around.

"You are quick," he said, looking at the endless sea, paftially covered in ice.

"Magic," explained Serana curtly, before sighing. "Danny, what was that?"

"Honestly? An act of misplaced agression."

Pulling a hood over her head, she slowly approached him. Serana put a hand on his shoulder.

"You can tell me," she smiled slightly at seeing Phantom turn to her. "There must be a reason, I just want to help."

Danny smiled, too. But his eyes still showed his dissatisfaction with the fact that this conversation was even taking place.

"I...I'm sorry for what happened. I lost my control for a moment."

"Is it...because of what that elf said?" asked Serana, coming to the realization.

Phantom nodded slowly, drumming on the snowy stone railing with his fingers. He kept staring on a distance, where unknowingly to him was lying the frozen continent of Atmora. The wind of the northern edge of Tamriel was ever present, its noise was interrupted only by the furious waves far, far below. 

"It seems that even in the world full of magic, with dragons, vampires and werewolfs, I am still out of place," Danny mumbled, crossing his hands. "One would think I am used to this, but...it hurts, you know?

"I know," Serana gave a sad smile. "Even if no one recognizes me, the living fear us nonetheless."

"I can tolerate the enemies. They can call me however they want, I beat them up in the end. But the usual people are another thing. I haven't done anything to them. Back home I even helped out the mortals and then what? They tried to hunt me down like an animal. The entire organization made me their top target."

Danny's voice became timid and pained, barely above the whisper. Serana took his hands softly, feeling him ease in her gentle grip and under a warm gaze.

"No one obligated you to risk your life for them, Danny, I told you. No need to pain over their decisions."

"Yet here we are. They still are afraid, they still want to rid the world of me - a mistake the nature made by giving my parents an idea for putting the switch inside the portal."