Chapter 8: Soul Cairn

Two young undead went around the castle. It was amazing how close they were to the rest of the vampires, yet no one noticed them.

"Wow, the castle looks so big from here," Serana breathed, looking up. She was now wearing her hood. "I mean, I knew it was big, but it seems huge."

Danny chuckled at her reaction. It was cute. And he couldn't help but agree with her - the dark construction truly was enormous from that perspective, about thirty meters tall. Not to mention that it was also on the high rock, while they were near its foundation. They kept going, the wet and cold northern wind was blowing into their faces, as the Castle was positioned on a small island to the North-West of Skyrim.

Finally they reached the pier, positioned under the mountain cliff. The place seemed really rundown. The stone constructions and the pier itself showed the signs of crumbling. The wooden boats were long since rotten, it was a miracle they were still floating on the fiery waves. The wind blow could actually be heard.

"It's a good thing we are cold resistant, eh?" Danny asked, looking at his companion.

"I don't know about you," Serana rubbed her hands. "But even vampires have limits," she explained, her breath visible.

Danny made an 'o' with his mouth. "Sorry, I'm just not sensitive to such things. Let's get inside."

As they went up the stone stairs, the pair suddenly heard a noise. Looking back, they saw several skeletons and a draugr, dressed in an ancient armor, with a battle-axe in his hands. Its glowing blue eyes narrowed and he leaped forward.

"You take the guy," Danny said. "Archers are mine," he added, seeing the skeletons loading their bows.

Serana nodded and her hand glowed with icy blue color. Phantom ran off, ducking under the swing of the axe on his way. The draugr didn't have time to make another strike as his hand was pierced by an ice spike. The zombie-like creature turned its head to the smirking vampire.

"Don't forget me!" Serana said loudly, before launching another projectile.

Phantom ran after the skeletons, jumping from the arrows, or simply becoming intangible. He hurled a green blast at the undead standing on the other end of the pier. The blast reduced it to the pile of bones. Then Phantom got to the other skeleton and kicked it hard with his leg, launching it over the railing. Danny looked back at Serana. The young woman sidestepped the axe, cursing at how many times she had to strike to finish off the draugr. She swiftly moved behind it, before Phantom saw a glistening dagger in her hand.

With a scream Serana stabbed the free space between the helmet and the chest-plate of the undead's armor. Dark blood leaked from the wound, the draugr fell on his knees, the light in its eyes died out. Phantom approached her as she was wiping the dagger clean.

"Neat knife," Danny commented. "The bread must tremble."

"Like it?" Serana looked up. "Elven work. Made from moonstone, and has a minor addition."

Phantom noted the light purple glow of the blade.

"It is enchanted to make weak-minded people flee in terror after the smallest cut," she explained. "The spell of Illusion School. Sadly, it doesn't work on the undead. Shall we go?"

"Yep."

They went inside, opening the old rusty door. The place was too dark at first, no surprise, Serana had said no one went into that part of the castle but her. Back then the corridors were still livable. Danny picked up the nearest torch and snapped his fingers, engulfing its head in the green flames. As they went forward, Serana was showing him directions, which she had memorized quite well.