Chapter 15: A brief moment

"I. Hate. This world."

Danny became exceptionally grumpy after the entire ordeal, after being stuck in his ghost form. He wasn't scared, for he had been warned that the effect was only temporary. But he was still facing certain problems already. At least Serana was not easily spotted as a vampire. HE was a walking lightbulb. The glow extended to the robes he was wearing. The armor had been abandoned in their favor. He could summon it whenever he wanted, anyway. Maybe it would make him look less suspicious. They left without answering any questions.

The group was walking through the half destroyed city, while the people were trying to salvage whatever they could. The mages had helped to put out the fire, but the damage had been already done. Despite his mood, Danny insisted on helping some people out. He noted that his powers became so simple to use. 

"You never cease to surprise, lad," Dave crossed his hands. "Here, you gain the power and are so unhappy about it."

"Surrendering my mortality was not something I cherish. I know to what consequences it might lead."

"Don't worry," Serana smiled and took his hand. "If you suddenly start throwing cheese at the bypassers, I'll snap you out of it."

Danny couldn't help but snort and then smile faintly. 

"You know, I think we should celebrate yet another saving of the world," The Nord told. "Hopefully at least one inn has survived here."

No one had objections to that. But as they were going through the streets, Danny could see the people staring his way. He didn't like this one bit. But there was little he could do and that displeased him even more.  As they were going through the small square in front of the Jarl's very humble home, the group noticed that the named Jarl was arguing with Savos. They had had to stay for a while, so the archmage had some business at hand. The crowd had already formed. The Jarl was an under thirty redheaded man, dressed in very warm clothes, with a circlet on his head. 

"We are sick of you, dirty rats, ruining our city over and over again!" He exclaimed, receiving support from the enraged populace. 

"Ruining?" Savos asked. "WE rushed in to save as many as we could! The Eye of Magnus was perfectly fine until that Thalmor representative came. We have no love for them either. If I were to kill someone with your sword, in this case you would have to take the blame by your logic."

The Jarl approached the archmage, being taller than the dark elf he tried to look intimidating.

"This city has the biggest misfortune to be the place where you reside. And nothing will please me more than to cast the mages out. And you, sharp-eared, too."

Danny whistled, while Serana crossed her hands and Dave sighed. Such behavior was to be expected from the man who had sided with Ulfric Stormcloak. Savos just stared at the much younger man. He hadn't known about the anti-elven attitude of the ruler. Combined with an unjustified hatred of mages, the distaste for the human only increased. 

"Then why haven't you?" Aren asked sarcastically. "Afraid?" 

"I am not afraid of you, greyskin."

"Let's stop this right here, shall we?" 

Danny stepped forward as all the eyes turned to him. His companions begged all the gods known to them so he doesn't do anything they all were going to regret. Phantom had his grin again.

"Who by Talos are..."

"The lad which has prevented this apocalypse," said Savos dryly. "Still not sure how."

"By absorbing the energy," Danny shrugged as if it explained everything. "It has some implications as you can see," his ghostly traits now had a seemingly logical explanation.