Prolouge | Season of Change

I stood on a grassy hill overlooking Fiore, a soft breeze rustling my hair and clothes. I pushed some of my blonde hair back from my face and held it back while a stronger wind blew.

The quiet of the mage beside me was uncommon. His general carefree demeanor seemed to have given way to a more mature version of himself. Not to say I wouldn't mind, but at least he doesn't climb in my window anymore.

I smile and close my eyes, my mind shifting from my partner to what all led up to our partnership. If I hadn't been so daydreamy that day, and if he hadn't been searching for the Salamander in Hargeon... Well I'm not sure if we would have been partners had it happened any other way.

I drop my hand and let out a soft sigh. "Natsu, let's go. Happy is probably waiting for you and we need to tell Mira we're back."

Natsu nodded and grinned, "Ah- it's good to be back in Fiore. I just wish the train ride hadn't been so damn long," he groaned.

I sweatdropped, well he was almost completely mature...

"Natsu if you still feel bad we can have Wendy take a look at you," I suggest.

He shakes his head, "Nah I'll be back to one hundred percent soon!" He gave his usual lopsided-toothy-grin.

I smiled back up at him and followed him as we made our way through the grass, into the city we had called home for so long. Before we even got all the way into the city you could hear its murmurs and feel the magic and energy in the air.

Natsu took a deep breath. "It's good to be home, and I think it's about time I became an S-class mage!" He snickered to himself- probably imagining himself standing on a pile of beaten enemies, fire bellowing out of his mouth and roaring into the sky.

"Come on Natsu, you can focus on that later," I sweatdrop.

"Aw Luce!" He whined.

"Lets just get back to the guild," I laugh nervously.

He suddenly grew serious, a new trait among old. He stopped and sniffed the air for a second, before a scowl crossed his face.

"Natsu..? Is everything alright?" I ask him, tilting my head to the side a little to catch a glimpse of his face.

"It's close, I can even smell it now," He said in a low voice.

"What's close?" I question, beginning to panic a little.

He closed his eyes and kept walking. "Come on Lucy! You will find out soon enough," he calls out.

I quickly follow down the hill behind him, watching his spiky pink hair shifting in the breeze. I looked over the buildings at the tower of the guildhall that was partially across town. Then as we sunk lower it disappeared behind buildings, and we stepped foot back into Fiore.

As we made our way through the crowded streets I sighed- happy to be done with our most recent adventure, ready to relax and enjoy spending some time with my friends. I couldn't wait to get home, soak in the bath and write a letter to mom all about our latest escapade.

Natsu and I finally reached the guildhall, noise from inside already resonating through the walls. Natsu threw the doors open and yelled, "Where's Ice Princess?! I still owe him a good beat down!!"

I groaned. Almost mature...

• • •

Authors note: I wrote this a while back so this book is pretty cliche, and kinda cringe but still admittedly cute. Just a heads up that this is not exactly my best work, but I still hope you enjoy it.