heart and soul

Nancy rode her bike back to her house without stan this time. Once she reached the steps to the house, she felt someone staring at her. Scared of who or what it was, she ran inside quickly without looking back. Running into the comfort of her bed, she got under the large blanket she had and counted to thirty.

"One. Two..." she whispered to herself and shut her eyes. It was something her mom would make her do when she was younger to get rid of her nightmares. It seemed to work all the time for her. Once she made it to thirty, she opened her eyes slowly and took the blanket off of her head. She looked around and saw darkness. No sign of anything. It all felt strange to her, she was positive that something or someone was watching her from a distance. But she didn't want to find out what it was.

"Oscar?" She called out but cringed when she remembered that her mom never liked that she called him by his actual name. She insisted on calling him dad. "Dad?" She called out once more, but got no response.

Nancy mumbled to herself as she got one foot on the floor then put the other next to it. "He's probably sleeping in his room. Yeah, he's probably drunk." She walked slowly towards the doorway and called out to oscar once more. "Dad?"

It was all too quiet. She didn't like it one bit.

But that all quickly ended when a hand yanked her foot. She screamed and screamed but no one heard her. Her hands grabbed a hold of the side of the doorway but her hand couldn't hold on much longer. She let go and hand dragged her under her bed, her fingernails leaving scratches on the wood floors. "Mom!" She screamed before oscar ran into the room and turned on the lights, the hand that dragged Nancy let go.

Nancy got up from the floor and ran into Oscar's arms. She cried into his shoulder as he tried to figure out what had just happened. "It got me." Nancy cried out.

"What was it?" Oscar cupped Nancy's cheek.

"The moonlight man, it got me."

The moonlight man haunted Nancy for what seemed her entire life. Well, half of it, if you wanna be more specific. It was first a nice story told by her mom when she was just a baby. A story to help her sleep. She was told that the moonlight man would wave his hands over her head and magic dust would come out of it's giant hands. The magic dust would help her have happy dreams. Once Elizabeth and nancy moved in with the Bowers', her sweet dreams became her worst nightmares.

After Elizabeth had continued the story of the moonlight man, henry snuck into her room and twisted the story to make it seem like the moonlight man made her dream while he killed her in her sleep. Ever since she heard Henry's words, nancy was afraid to dream. It got to the point where she was afraid to even fall asleep. While out with her friends, she let it slip that she didn't sleep for days to richie, who then told the rest of the losers. Bill suggesting a sleepover at his house to help nancy sleep. It was that day that nancy had finally gotten some well needed sleep.

But that didn't mean that her fear of the moonlight man dissapeared.

"It's okay. He can't hurt you." Oscar assured her. His eyes glanced over at the floor to see Nancy's scratch marks. "Nothing's going to hurt you."

She wished that was true.

🎈

Stan waited for nancy so they could ride together to town together. Once he saw Nancy approach him with her bike beside her, he sat up on his bicycle seat and smiled at nancy. "Ready?"

"I just wanna leave." Nancy sighed and got on her bike. "Yeah, I'm ready."

They rode into town together. Bill, richie, eddie and ben already there. "Hey, guys." Nancy sent a small wave at them.