Chapter 35 - Rescued

Start from the beginning

But you...

You fight like fire. I need you to fight like water.

Fire didn't control itself. Fire didn't back down easily. Fire struck fear in people's chests.

But looking at the skeleton buildings around you, you understood.

Fire only knew how to destroy.

Water could bend. Water understood its surroundings. Water never gave up its strength or its serenity.

And in the end, water gave life.

The hum of your heart stopped as you reached the entrance of the cell. There was only one guard, but it was one guard you were not happy to see.

Shownu.

You wondered how he stood so tall with the whipping lashes against his chest and face.

Your biggest problem wasn't getting past him. It was not killing him as soon as you got close enough.

You stepped forward, bowing politely to him. "I've been sent for the prisoner. A gift from the Red House."

He laughed, raising his eyebrows. "Why should a man going to die in a couple of hours be treated so well?"

"Shouldn't the executed get one last pleasure before his death?" you asked. You cocked your head to the side. "If you like what you see, I can offer you the same services."

Your skin crawled as you said it. You were glad there was a veil to conceal how your lips curled, holding back your own vomit.

The man licked his bottom lip before biting it. "You're speaking my language, miss."

I know I am, you perverted snake.

He opened the door, allowing you inside.

"A gift for you, Kim," he called.

He was practically laughing as he said Namjoon's last name, happy to drop the formal title. But to be fair, Namjoon looked nothing like a captain in his state.

He was on his knees, his hands tied behind his back. Not that he could escape - there were no windows in his cell and no exits besides the one behind Shownu.

He looked up at you. He blinked, his forehead shifting back.

"Maybe now we'll see the noble captain crumble into humanity like all the rest of us," Shownu teased

"Maybe now we'll see the noble captain crumble into humanity like all the rest of us," Shownu teased. "Facing death... do you still wanna act like the moral god among us?"

He shoved you forward.

"Show me what you got, woman," he said, leaning against the cell door. "Make sure I can see everything."

You nodded, glancing over your shoulder, then meeting Namjoon's eyes. "Get ready."

His eyes flickered.