Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Randy’s Point of View

            The Mutt attack surprised us. In over eight years, the Mutts left my pack alone. After the SVU stops flipping, I look around. Bobby’s got a metal pipe sticking out of his throat and I can tell that he’s dead, Dean’s alive, moaning. But the girl, Mari, I can’t hear her. I hope that she’s just knocked out and not dead. No father should lose his daughter.

            I look around and see the Mutts coming closer. I look back at Dean. He’s hurt, but he’ll live. “Dean.”

            “Yeah?”

            “I need you to go find help. We can’t let these Mutts hurt a human. I’ll keep them entertained. Just find someone and bring them back.” I feel a pain in my shoulder as the Mutts try to pull me out of the car. I look back at Dean. “Now Dean. Go.”

            He looks at me and then at Mari and nods. Then, in a blink of an eye, he disappears. I moan and let them pull me out. If Dean’s to find help, I need to keep their attention on me. They can’t find Mari in the back of the car. They start circling me, throwing a punch or kick. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Mari slip out of the car. What’s that girl up to?  I shift my focus for a second, and that’s all they need. One of the hits me and I fall. I watch as Mari starts shaking. Man, that little girl looks pissed.

            Yeah she does. I feel sorry for whoever she’s mad at. I snicker softly. I feel the Mutts move closer, each kicking me harder than the last. I just laugh, taunting them. It’s an alpha’s place to protect those who can’t protect themselves. I watch as she falls forward and shifts into a silver…Drake, that’s…That’s a pure silver wolf. Those red marks. It’s….It.

            It’s your daughter, Marie Contessa Cortez. I take a deep intake of breath. She’s even more beautiful that I could ever imagine. Isabella would be proud of her. Suddenly, one of the Mutts kicked me hard in my back. I let out a cry of pain. Mari rushes torwards me to. She stood defensibly in front of me glaring and growling at the Mutts. Boys, you had better turn and leave right now before you make me do something that you wish I won’t do. But if you don’t care if you live or die, then by all means take one more step towards my father. She yells at them through the link. Even I hear it, though it was meant only for them. I could see the fear in their eyes. But, but, that’s not possible. I… You. They start to whine, looking for a way to escape if need be.

            Leave now or die! She barks out. Several leave, including one that was trying to kill me. She growls at the only remaining Mutt again and he jumps at her. I watch as she steps left and grabs his throat. I hear the bones snap as she crushes his windpipe and throws his body as hard as she could against a tree. That’s some fighter you got there Randy. Some fighter. I hear Drake’s voice slowly start to fade as darkness claims me. I’ve found my baby girl.

            I jerk awake and look around. “How did I get in this room?” I see Mari lying on another bed beside me. I realize that we’re in some pack house’s little hospital room. I look back at her and she’s staring at me. She gets up and locks the door. Walking towards me she sits on the edge of my bed. “Hello daddy.” She says softly shocking me. I thought she was mute.

            “Wha..You can talk?” She chuckles. “Yeah. I was just passing myself off as mute just for safety. Never know who you will run into out in the woods right?”