Chapter 6

Chapter 6

            The phone rang several times before Lynx answered. “Alpha McKlondon.”

            “Alpha Winchester here.” I say. “Hello Cass. It’s been a long time.”

            “Too long Lynx.” He chuckled. “I’m guessing that you didn’t call me just to catch up on old times, uh?”

            “Correct. A few of my men found a human girl in one of our old outpost. She said that you were her foster father, and that you sent her on a job.” My voice was low as I finished talking. My wolf was in disbelief that an alpha sent a young, defenseless girl on a mission. For several seconds, there was silence on both ends of the line. Then I heard his mate speak.

            “Is she safe? How is she?” I wanted to lie to them, but they deserved to hear the truth. And my wolf and the alpha blood running through me wouldn’t allow it. “My men found her in an old trap that was in the outpost. The rope was old and frayed, and it gave way under her weight. She fell, but the doc said that she’s fine and nothing was hurt Right now she’s sleeping in the guest room off of Doc’s office.”

            “I understand.” He sounded worn out and tired. And for a brief moment, I felt sorry for waking him. “By the way, how much does your human daughter know about us, our kind?” I asked, curiosity eating away in me. At the sound of the deep growl he gave, I knew that he didn’t like my tone of voice, but I didn’t really care. I had my pack to think about as well as Randy’s. That’s a lie and you know it, my wolf smirked. You want to make sure that she wouldn’t flip if you turned in front of her. I shook my head, trying to block him out. He has this annoying habit of being right all the time.

            “She’s not hum…. Cass, she knows everything. Nina and I thought that it was best to tell her, especially if her mate turned out to be one of our kind. We didn’t want her to flip out.” I agreed with his logic, but for some reason I didn’t like the sound of her finding a mate. That’s because you want it to be you, stupid. I growled at my wolf, but he just laughed. I did want to be her mate. Suddenly, the sound of someone moving around the house reached my ears. “Lynx, I’ll have her call you when she wakes up. I have to go, something just came up.”

            “I understand Winchester. Thanks for letting us know.” We say goodbye, and I sit the phone back on my desk, I realized that I didn’t ask him why she looked like Isabella. Well, there’ll be time to ask him later. I think as I started to rise out of my chair. Then I froze. There, standing in the door way of my office, stood the most beautiful girl that I’d ever laid eyes on. As our eyes met, I felt my wolf start to jump around, excited and happy. Then he looked at her and howled. I couldn’t figure out why he was so happy at the sight of Lynx’s daughter.

            The girl smiled at me suddenly, and stepped closer. At the sight of her smile, my heart rate increased. The she spoke and her voice sounded like music to my ears. “I’m Mari. Mari Bellflower.”