Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Cass’s Point of View

            Tom and I drove like maniacs to get back to the pack house. He skidded to a stop in front of the porch, and before the car was completely stopped, I was out and running up the steps. I run to Mari’s bedroom, but like Red said earlier, she wasn’t there. I take my time walking around the room, until I caught the faintest hint of her scent by the window. I open it slowly. There, snagged on a splinter at the bottom of the window, was a small piece of her shirt. Red, Tom, get the men and start combing the woods heading to the northwest of Mari’s room. You won’t find her scent, but look for footprints, pieces of clothing. You know the drill. I’m going for a run.

            They agreed and I cut the link. My wolf felt caged, edgy and wanted to run. And I did as well. I jumped off the porch, shifting in the air. My blue-black wolf raced through the woods like a silent ghost. We ran until I was just a mile for the borders of my lands. I made my wolf turn and head back. I wasn’t looking to start a war with another pack tonight.

            As I slowly made my way back to the house, my mind kept filling up with question. Like why would she run, why did she feel like she had to run, and did I push her to decide to run? My wolf wasn’t talking to me. He was pissed about something, and he was pissed off at me. About half way back to my house, I stumbled across several unknown scents. I knew they didn’t belong to any of the surrounding packs. Tom, I’ve found a few Mutt scents about half a mile from the house. I’m going to follow the trail. If I’m not back in an hour, send a few men after me.  I don’t give them a chance to reply. I dig my paws into the earth and shoot forward like a rocket.

Mari’s Point of View

            So Randy, Dean, the evil guy and I all pile up into what has got to be the world’s smallest SUV. I chose the back seat so I would have a little more leg room. Dean slide into the middle seat and Randy got shotgun. Mr. Evil there was driving. I’m not sure on how I feel about that. The guy gives me the creepers.

            We pull out of the drive way and hit the road. About five minutes in, I start poking Dean’s back, just because I can and I’m bored. I was never this bored back at home, not for one second. I can tell by the way Dean’s shoulders are tensed that I’m starting to bug him. So, I give his back a few more pokes and stop. Now, I just sit back and stare out the window. I watch as the trees fly by.

            A flash of black and white against the green hit me. I could have sworn that I saw several wolves. I tap Dean’s shoulder, but he doesn’t move. It takes me finally punching his shoulder for him to turn around and look at me. I lean in really close and whisper in his ear, “Dude, I just saw like five of the biggest and ugliest wolves ever. And they look like they wanna kill someone. Oh, and if you tell anyone that I talk, you won’t like the outcome.” He nods and looks out the window.

            I can tell the exact moment he spots them, because his eyes get huge and he looks like he’s seen a ghost. But before he could say one word, a huge truck comes flying out of nowhere and slams into us. Their momentum along with our speed causes the SUV to spin and start to flip. I start freaking out because this is not the way I want to die. After what seemed like forever, the car finally came to a stop. Mr. Evil was dead. He had a huge piece of metal sticking out from his throat. Dean and Randy must have been thrown out, or they crawled out. I stay hidden in the back of the totaled car not wanting to move.

            I hear multiple nails clicking against the black top. From the smell that the breeze keeps blowing through the broken window, I know that we’re surrounded by Mutts. They’re stupid. I mean openly attacking an alpha, with the daughter of an important alpha in the car as well. They must have a death wish. Slowly and carefully, I start to make my way out of the wreckage. As I slide out of the door, I see two Mutts circling my father. For a second I see red. Then, a sudden bone deep pain shoots through my body. I can feel and hear as my bones pop and realign themselves. If I wasn’t so pissed at the stupid Mutts for thinking about killing my father after I had just found him, I would have been so relieved that I was finally shifting.

            I fall forward. I throw out my hands to stop my fall, but instead of hands I see on silver paw and one blood red paw. I give myself a good shake. Ah. It feels so go to finally be free. A soft, clear voice says in my head. Huh?

            Oh, hello dear. I’m Echo, your wolf. I’m so glad to finally meet you. As the two of us talk, I failed to notice that the Mutts were starting to move in on my father. His sudden cry of pain snaps me out of the conversation. Telling Echo that I’ll talk to her later, I rush forward to help him. Standing defensibly in front of him, I glare and growl at the Mutts. Boys, you had better turn and leave right now before you make me do something that you wish I won’t do. But if you don’t care if you live or die, then by all means take one more step towards my father. I yell at them through the link. I could see the fear in their eyes. But, but, that’s not possible. I… You.

            Leave now or die! I bark out. Several leave, including one that was trying to kill my father. Those are semi-smart Mutts. But not the one that stayed; no he’s just dumb. I growl at him again and he jumps at me. I step left and grab his throat. I crush his windpipe and throw his body as hard as I could against the tree. I almost smiled as I heard several bones break. The Mutt’s dead. I walk over to my dad’s body and sniff. He’s still alive, but knocked out. I can’t smell Dean anywhere. So, I just lay down beside my father. I send an S.O.S. through any mind link that I could grasp. Alpha Cortez and three others were attacked by Mutts. One’s dead, one’s missing, one’s still trapped in the SUV, and the alpha was last seen being dragged off by the Mutts. Please, anyone who can hear. They need help!!

            I stay with my dad until I know that several wolves are just minutes away. Shifting back to my human form, I grab some clothes out of my back and crawl back into the car. Echo told me that it would be best if no one knew she made her appearance. And I agreed. Someone would try to take me just for her. I can feel how special she is.

            I lie in the back seat again and slide on my seat belt just as several wolves come crashing out of the woods. I watch as several shift back to human form and walk around. One of them moved fast and Cass’s scent hit me. Echo starts going nuts, screaming Mate, mate. Please, go to mate. I look at Cass and I see him take a deep breath. I know that his wolf must have smelt Echo. I close my eyes and slow my heart rate down considerably. I feel Cass getting closer to the car, and then I hear his voice. Oh that sexy, sexy voice.