Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Randy’s Point of View

            I wake up about an hour before dawn. Grabbing my bags, I link with Dean. How did she sleep?

            Like a rock boss. She’s been up for almost two hours now.

            Tell Bobby to go get the SUV. We’ll head towards Lynx’s territory a little early.

            Yes sir, Alpha. Dean closes the link and I hurry down the stairs. I toss my bag into the back of the car and head toward the cells.

            As I enter the holding area, I see Dean facing Mari. Dean makes a face at her. Suddenly, a laugh that sounds like bells fills the room. I watch as she points toward Dean, then doubles over laughing hard, slapping her knees. Dean scowls at her, but she doesn’t look fazed. Mari slowly slides her finger down her face from the corner of her eye like a tear. Then she flashes a bright smile at him. Immediately, Dean’s scowl is replaced with a smile.

            I clear my throat causing both of them to whip their heads towards me. Looks of guilt cross their faces. Mari looks at Dean and he mumbles, “Busted by the boss.” I chuckle softly. “Dean, go grab your bags. I’ll let the little imp out.” She glares at me. I smile back at her, but she doesn’t even blink. Lynx sure has one strange daughter.

            It’s probably just a coping mechanism, what with being mute and all.  My wolf says. I take the key off the wall hook and walk to her cage. “I’m taking you home to your father. I need to talk to him, and I bet he’ll be glad to see you. He must be worried to death about you. I know I would be.” Mari looks up at me and the color of her eyes hits me like ton of bricks. Her eyes were the deepest blue I’d ever seen since Isabella died. It was like looking into Isabella’s eyes again.

            I unlocked the door and swung it open. I stood back and nodded toward the outer door. “Come child. We’re going to be late if we don’t get a move on.” I tell her, my voice swirling with emotions. She steps out of the cell and places her hand on my cheek. “Don’t be sad.” She mouths slowly, making sure I understood what she was saying.

            This child acted so much like my Isabella at times that I was just about to go insane. There’s a little part of me that wishes she was my daughter, but it couldn’t be possible. My daughter is, or would be a pure wolf, one of the last in the werewolf world. And she wouldn’t shift until she turned 19. As my mind was thinking over that, a hidden memory of Isabella surfaced. It was the day before our little girl had been born. Isabella found this really old story book about a prophecy regarding our kind. It said that one day a girl pup would be born unto two pure white wolves, both being of pure alpha blood. Her wolf, when she shifted, would look like pure silver with five blood red marks. The first mark would be a crown with a dagger running through it on her left front shoulder. The second mark would be a lightning bolt that would span down her back. For the third mark, her front right paw would be completely red. The fourth mark would be a red line across her facing resembling a mask. And the last mark would be the head of a wolf on her right hip.

            The story went on to tell that this girl and her wolf would be able to shift before her 19th birthday if she or any who shared her blood were in grave danger. I suddenly got the feeling that someone was watching me. I blink and look around, expecting danger. Instead, Mari’s standing in front of me looking worried. Her little hand is waving back and forth in front of my face. When she saw that I was back, she dropped her hand. I raised an eyebrow, but she just smirked at me and started dragging me out the door. I guess she’s in a hurry to get home.

Mari’s Point of View

            I jerked awake. For a split second, I thought I was at home lying on my bed having a terrible night mare. But as I saw the bars of the cage from the corner of my eye, I knew that my nightmare was actually happening. And I wasn’t home safe with Lynx and Nina.

            I just laid in that stupid excuse for a bed for an hour, maybe an hour and half, hoping and wishing for sleep to claim me again. But sleep was gone. Hearing someone move, I quickly sit up and look around. One of my ‘guards’, the tall, evil looking one, was leaving. Silently, I slip off the bed and walk up behind the remaining guard. Softly I tap on his shoulder.

            I snicker when the jumps screams like a little girl and jumps two feet into the air. He turns and looks at him. I swear, if looks could kill, I’d be six feet under. I just give him my biggest smile. I clutch my chest all dramatic like and put a scared look on my face as I point towards him. I started laughing, and after a few seconds, he joined in. The time flew by as we each made faces at the other and then laughing so hard we were crying. I was so focused on the guy and our little immature jokes, that I didn’t hear the door opening or closing. It wasn’t until someone cleared their throat, that we both realized we were being watched.

            We jerk our heads around to see who it was. There, chuckling at us stood Alpha Randy. I looked over at the guard and we both looked a little guilty. He mumbled, “Busted by the boss.” And that of course made Randy chuckle again. With this dude, I can’t honestly tell if he’s mad or what. His face hardly ever shows emotions. All we were doing was having a little fun. I was getting so bored of staring at the walls. And my guard was the only person in the room, plus I am ‘mute’.

            “Dean,” Randy says, keeping his eyes on the both of us, “Go grab your bags. I’ll let the little imp out.” He says. I just glare at him. Did my father just call me an imp? I narrow my eyes. Oh, it’s on now mister. I’m going to find the most annoying nickname for you. Just wait and see. This ain’t over yet.

            My father gives me a smile, but I just keep glaring at him. I watch as he takes a key off the wall and walks to my cage door. “I’m taking you home to your father. I need to talk to him, and I bet he’ll be glad to see you. He must be worried to death about you. I know I would be.”I could hear the emotions in his voice, which had me confused. Then it hit me. He must be missing my mom. He unlocks the door and swings it open. “Come child. We’re going to be late if we don’t get a move on.” He says as he nods towards the outer door.  I step out and look at him. He looks at my eyes and gasps softly. I place my hand on his cheek and mouth, “Don’t be sad,” slow enough for him to understand what I was trying to say.

            Then his eyes get this distant look in them, and I ain’t sure if he’s talking with his wolf, other members of his pack, or remembering something that my mom did. Or maybe, he’s going crazy and he’s plotting my death.  I laugh at myself. I can be pretty crazy when I want to. After several minutes fly by, I start getting worried. So, I start to slowly wave my hand back and forth in front of his face, trying to get him to snap out of it. Finally, he blinks and looks around. When I’m positive that he’s completely back in the real time, I drop my hand.  He raises an eyebrow, but I just smirk at him and start to drag him outside. I am dying to see Lynx and Nina again.