Chapter 85: Hinata's Fiancé

Start from the beginning

"In a way," the  young woman conceded, thinking to herself that if not for Naruto she  might have given in to her grandfather's demands.

"He is not  worthy of you," the elder sniffed, "He is a mongrel with no family, and  he is obviously using you to gain access to the Hyuga Clan's political  power."

"Naruto will be Hokage," Hinata countered simply and  levelly, "He had the support of the Third, and he has the support of the  Fifth. He is the student of two of the legendary Sannin, and the  Kazekage is indebted to him. Unless some cosmic joke were to have the  Daimyo stride into the village and appoint some random ninja Hokage,  Naruto will lead the Hidden Leaf one day. And given that Lord Hisoka  seemed approving of Naruto when we met him, that scenario is unlikely.  Naruto does not need our clan's power, he already has plenty of powerful  friends."

Hyouta bristled slightly from her succinct destruction  of his argument. But he covered it briefly, and moved on to his second  theory.

"In that case, he is probably after our money," her grandfather decided.

"No,  he is not," Hiashi spoke up, surprising his father and the other  elders, "In short-sighted anger, I made the same argument just over a  year ago. Afterwards I made some discreet inquiries. Naruto Uzumaki is  quite frugal with his money, perhaps as a result of growing with only  his mother's pension. As his income has increased, his spending has  remained mostly the same. Since reaching his majority, he has gained  access to the royalties for his grandfather's books, as well as  Yukihana's not insubstantial savings. In short, Naruto's personal net  worth exceeds that of some of the smaller clans in this village. He just  does not flaunt it."

Hyouta sniffed, but in surprise instead of derision.

"Whatever  the case," the elder plowed forward, "He is a second rate ninja and not  suitable to be the consort for the head of the Hyuga Clan. Girl, if you  wish to remain a candidate to succeed your father, you will break  things off with the Jinchuriki and accept the husband we have chosen for  you."

"And if I refuse?" Hinata asked carefully.

"Then you  will be deemed unfit, and relegated to Branch Clan status," he informed  her directly, unable to resist a slight sneer at the end.

"At which point you will used the Caged Bird Seal to force me into the arranged marriage?" the pale beauty prompted.

"Of  course not," her grandfather declared imperiously, "We would not foist  an inferior member of the Hyuga Clan on such an important person. You  would be free to pursue your dalliance with Uzumaki."

"... if he  would still have you," the chief elder said more smugly, but there was  an undertone of haste that implied he had planned the statement but had  nearly forgotten it.

"So I am to choose between the two cages you have prepared for me?" Hinata asked sadly.

"An interesting way to phrase it," Hyouta noted haughtily, "but essentially correct."

The young woman frowned as she considered that. Then she shook her head.

"And  what if I choose neither?" Hinata asked quietly, "I could flee the  clan. Ask the Hokage and the rest of the village for protection."

She  finally met her grandsire's eyes, and Hinata's gaze was firm, "Our clan  lost a great deal of respect and even some political power when Neji  revealed your use of the Caged Bird Seal. If I were to tell them that  you used that seal as a threat to break the law and try to force me into  an arranged marriage..."

She trailed off sadly, and her  grandfather's white orbs bulged in anger. He quickly regained control,  and the other four elders started muttering amongst themselves.