Chapter 60: Red as Blood

Visible red chakra danced all over Uzumaki's body and four tails of  energy whipped behind Naruto's body. His face elongated, and his canines  became more pronounced. And his eyes, ferocious, pitiless, crimson,  roamed over the other three Leaf warriors, evaluating them. There was no  doubt in any of their minds who was in command of Naruto's body.

Sakura  charged forward, even before her Genjutsu had fully faded. But the  Kyubi backhanded her with Naruto's left hand. The pink-haired Kunoichi  rocketed away, as if her vaunted strength were non-existent. The fox  demon watched Kakashi carefully, but the Jonin did not move

"I suppose I owe you," the monster told her host's teacher, "for driving him to this point. But then, what use is gratitude to a corpse?"

"You think you can defeat all three of us?"

"Tch," the demon snorted in disgust, "The  girls are too tired to be a threat. And despite your bravado, you are  only slightly less worn than your students. Normally, that would make  you beneath my time, but I have a special reason to end you."

"Once  I kill the three of you," Naruto's stolen face twisted in a murderous  grin, "The kit's spirit will be broken, and I will be able to take  control of this body permanently."

Her glare and the force of her  chakra held the Copy Ninja in place, confirming her claim about Hatake's  state. Then the Kyubi looked up at Hinata, viciously happy. Her blood  red orbs met Hinata's silver ones with an expression of murderous  triumph.

"You have no idea how much I have been longing for this day, girl," the monster almost purred, "I  was figuratively beside myself when I thought Doraku had killed you. I  thought that bloodsucker had managed to steal my prey once again. I gave  up my chance in the Hidden Sound, because there were too many people  around. But I knew if I was patient, I would get this chance."

"Why?" Hinata forced out, "What have I done to you?"

"Directly? Nothing," the spirit shrugged, and Hinata's body shook from the movement, "The  fact that you are a friend of Naruto's would normally be enough. But  you are a special case. You make him happy, and you can calm him down.  You have undone so much of my hard work influencing him. That's why you  are first, and you will be the one I enjoy the most."

"Na... Naruto," Hinata murmured.

"The kit is not available to take your call," the fox mocked, "But if you leave a message at the sound of the breaking vertebrae, I will make sure he gets it. Crun..."

Even  as she started to pronounce the onomatopoeia of something breaking, the  demon started to close Naruto's hand. Unable to delay, the Jonin  teacher started to make his move. Before Hatake could complete his first  hand sign, the stolen body froze.

"Hold it right there, you  stupid fox," Uzumaki's left eye had gone back to blue, and his left arm  was clear, but the rest of his form was still wrapped by the Bijuu's  energy. His face was oddly distorted, the left side partially reverting  to its human mode, while the right side maintained its beast like  appearance.

"If you don't, it will cost you," again, Naruto's voice was somewhat hollow, but was not touched by the monster's dark growl.

"What was that, kit?"  the demon asked, feigning confusion. Naruto's left hand snaked down to  his hip pouch, and retrieved one of the black kunai Hinata had given him  for his birthday. He pointed the blade at his uncovered heart, pricking  his skin.

"If you so much as twitch that hand," the possessed Chunin insisted, "I will kill us both!"

"No, you won't,"  the demon insisted. Had the situation not been so dangerous, Kakashi  would have found the sight of Naruto arguing with himself amusing.