027

December

"I'm so nervous," Mike said, adjusting his tie in the mirror.

"Don't be. You'll have a great time. Joyce is taking you to the dance, right?" Nancy asked, fixing Mike's hair.

"Yeah. (Y/n) is coming a little later," Mike explained.

"Why?" Nancy asked.

"She needs more time to get ready. I also need time to make sure mom and dad are away from me," Mike said. Nancy giggled.

"Who's taking her? Steve?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah, actually. Him and Jonathan are coming here to help her get ready. It's so weird," Mike said.

"I'm helping them too, don't worry. And... done!" Nancy said, spinning Mike around to look at her.

"How do I look?" Mike asked nervously.

"Oh, little brother. You look very handsome," Nancy said in a joking tone, pinching his cheek.

"Fuck off. Joyce is probably here," Mike said jokingly, walking down the stairs. He ran out the door and waited in the cold for a few minutes before Joyce pulled up.

He made sure not to be seen by (Y/n), who was coming to the dance later. She was very sick a week prior, and still needed her rest. While she wasn't sick anymore, she was still extremely tired.

Once Mike pulled away, Nancy walked quietly down the stairs and saw (Y/n) just waking up.

"Good, you're awake. C'mon, Steve and Jonathan are almost here," she said calmly. (Y/n) nodded and tiredly stood up, following Nancy up the stairs.

"Is Mike still here?" (Y/n) asked.

"Nope. We have the house to ourselves. I think they're here now, go into my room," Nancy said, walking towards the front door. (Y/n) sluggishly walked up the stairs and into Nancy's room, rubbing her eyes as she sat on the bed.

After a couple minutes, Steve burst through the door, holding a small black box with a handle. Jonathan followed, holding a hanger with a long bag over it.

"What are we thinking here, Jonny?" Steve asked, placing the box on Nancy's dresser. Jonathan pondered for a moment before taking the bag off of the hanger.

It revealed a sparkly maroon off-the-shoulder dress that went to the knees.

"Is that for me?" (Y/n) asked quietly.

"Yes it is," Nancy said, taking it from Jonathan and hanging it on the back of her door.

"I was thinking we... curl her hair. And something simple for the makeup," Jonathan said. Steve nodded and turned back to (Y/n), who was nervous.

"Don't be scared. You're gonna look beautiful," Steve said reassuringly.

-

"Do you know when she's coming?" Will asked. The boys and Max were sitting at a table, bored out of their minds. Dances weren't really their thing. They only went so they didn't seem weird.

"Nope," Mike said, glancing at the clock. The dance started at seven, and it was nearly eight.

"Well, I'm bored. Lucas, do you want to dance or something?" Max asked. Lucas smiled and stood up.

"Let's go m'lady," Lucas said, holding out his hand. Max giggled and grabbed his hand, dragging him to the dance floor.

Dustin sighed and leaned back in his chair.

"Hey man. Don't be upset," Will said, patting his back.

"Hey. Nice hair," a girl said, walking up to Dustin. She had short brown hair and blue eyes.

"Thanks," Dustin said, blushing.

"I'm Meghan. Wanna dance, maybe?" The girl asked.

"Of course," Dustin said with a smile. He got up and walked her to the dance floor, a smile glued to his face.

Mike sighed and glanced at the clock again.

"What if she doesn't come?" Mike asked.

"Calm down, dude. I know she will. She wouldn't ditch you like that," Will said reassuringly.

"I'd like to think that. But what if something happened? What if the lab got her on the way here?" Mike said, panicking.

"Calm your pants. I'm gonna go get you some water," Will said, rolling his eyes. He stood up and walked to the concession table, leaving Mike alone at the table.

Suddenly, she walked into the gym.

Mike stood up, his eyes sparkling at the sight of her. She lit up the whole room.

She shyly walked over to Mike, looking down at her feet.

"Hi," she said quietly.

"H-Hi," Mike stuttered.

"Sorry for taking so long," she said sheepishly.

"No no, don't apologize. You look... wow," Mike said, grabbing her hands.

"And you look... also wow," she said with a smile. Mike walked her to the dance floor just as a slow song was starting. The lights dimmed as the two made their way to the center.

"I don't know how to dance," Mike said quietly.

"Don't worry. Neither do I," (Y/n) replied with a laugh.

She placed her hands on his shoulders as he placed his on her waist. They slowly rocked side to side and spun.

"You're so beautiful," Mike said. (Y/n) blushed and smiled.

"And you're so handsome," she said.

"(Y/n)... I think I'm in love with you," Mike said quietly.

"I think I'm in love with you too," she said. He slowly moved in, connecting their lips as Careless Whisper by Wham! played softly in the background.

Will walked up to Dustin, Lucas, and Max, who were sitting at the table watching the two.

"It's about time."