•trunk or treat•

[let's say ryan didn't wear that headpiece, and say he went with a set of ears on a headband instead, yeah? (we're also going to pretend he didn't paint his face white and orange and just go with a nose and whiskers. the paint is,,,unsettling)]

-•-

brendon pov

"hold still nutmeg, I'm almost-Ryan, no!" I groaned in frustration. I was getting ryan ready for trick or treating, but he keeps messing up his makeup.

"Daddy, my nose! s' itchy!" He whined. I stopped his hand from reaching up to smudge my hard work, and gently tapped where he was trying to scratch. I eventually finished, and turned him around to face the mirror. He gasped, giggling happily.

"Whaddya think, baby boy?"

"I love it Daddy! Thank you thank you thank you!" He cheered, giving me a kiss on the cheek. "I'm the fantastic mr. fox, just like you said!"

I chuckled. "You sure are! Now, do you want to bring your pumpkin or pillowcase for candy?" I asked, holding up the two options. He pointed to the pumpkin shaped basket, and I handed it to him. "We're going to go now, baby. Do you have everything?"

"Yes, daddy! Come on let's go already! I want candy." Ryan dragged me towards the door, and I quickly grabbed his little bag and my keys, leaving the house to go get some candy.

-•-

We were an hour into trick or treating, and Ryan was already getting odd looks from kids.

He was happily trotting along, getting halloween candy. lucky for Ryan, his stature helped him pass as an older teenager. However, his body language passed him as two.

After about three houses, Ryan felt uneasy.

"Look mama! Is that an adult trick or treating?"

"Looks like someone never grew out of halloween, huh?"

His happiness slowly started to fade, and he clung to me, removing the fox ears from his head.

"Daddy, I wan' go home." He whimpered, tugging at my sleeve. I sighed.

"Are you sure? You can keep trick or treating if you want, pumpkin. You don't have to listen to them, you're just too precious for them to understand." I cooed, trying to make him feel better. He was looking forward to tonight. Ryan still shook his head, mumbling a soft "no" into my chest. I wrapped my arms around him and gently rubbed his back as he began to cry a little.

"It's alright, Ry. Daddy will buy you some candy, I promise."

I held Ryan close to me as we walked back home. He looked down at his very empty basket, frowning. I pulled out my phone, suddenly getting an idea. I texted a group chat of friends of ours.

hey, are you guys busy? i need some help

-•-

Ryan was sitting in the living room with his halloween candy, watching Charlie Brown's halloween special. I sat beside him, and he curled up into my lap. I was still texting our friends.

pete: looks like our cul-de-sac is kid free for the night, you guys got ur candy ready?

spencer: Linda and I are all set. I just decorate the trunk right? That's it?

yeah, that's it. i'll pay u guys back for the candy btw

josh: u dont have to, brendon! ty and i are on our way.

alright, i'll get ryan ready. thanks for this, guys. you have no idea how much this means to me.

I turned off my phone, gently tapping Ryan, who was lost in the television.

"Hey sweetheart, do you want to go buy some candy? I know trick or treating didn't work out, I want to make it up to you." He nodded.

"Otay, daddy. Thank you." I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he smiled, reaching to suck on his thumb. I replaced it with a pacifier, grabbed his basket, and drove to Pete and Patrick's house.

"Daddy? Why's we by Pete n Patty's house?" Ryan asked. "You said party city!" He whined.

"I know, but look baby! There's a surprise here for you!" I parked the car and he looked out the window. Ryan gasped, eagerly tugging at his seatbelt.

"Daddy! S' a trick or treat! For me!" He squealed. He reached to open the door, but I locked it.

"Ry, you need to get your costume back on! I have your eyeliner pen, we can draw your whiskers again."

"Otay, but hurry Daddy!" He sat himself back down, and I quickly drew his whiskers and nose, then placed his fox ears on his head. We exited the car, and ryan stared in awe. Our friends had decorated the trunks of their cars, leaving small bowls of candy for ryan.

"Go ahead baby, start at Spencer's car." I encouraged him. He reached for my hand, and we walked over to spencer's trunk. It was decorated with a few pumpkins and a string of lights that was plugged into his car.

"Trick or treat!" Ryan exclaimed happily.

"Hey, fantastic mr. fox! Nice to see ya," Spencer said, placing a large handful of assorted candies into his basket. Ryan giggled. "Thank you Spencie." He walked over to Tyler and Josh's car, squealing when Jim began to reach for his basket.

"Silly doggy! S' mine!" He received a baggie of candies and trinkets of sorts from their car.

Ryan went to everyone's car, absolutely ecstatic. He managed to fill his candy bucket, and was definitely ready to go home. His poor feet were sore from walking about, and it was already near his bed time. Ryan and I thanked everyone for their help, wished them a good night, and drove home.

"Daddy? ca' we watch ninja turtles at home? please?" Ryan asked in a quiet voice.

"Sure thing Muffin, but it's bath night. We'll be able to watch it afterwards." He whined a bit at that, but nodded anyways. I grabbed his hand, resting my palm in his as I carefully drove through the streets of kids in costumes. I glanced at Ryan, who's ears had turned red when I laced our fingers together.

"It was a happy halloween, Daddy. Thank you."