05. Leap of Faith

Brooklyn, New YorkJune 22, 1943

Brooklyn, New York
June 22, 1943

Mary and Steve sat in the backseat of a car with Peggy, on it's way to where her brother would be given the super solider serum.

Steve looks through the window, Peggy looks out the other, Mary in the middle between the two. "I know this neighborhood.." He trails off, Mary looks out the window, nodding.

"I remember, you got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." As she says this, Mary points to each place, gaining the attention of her friend. Steve sheepishly smiles back.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asks Steve.

Steve shrugs, glancing at Mary briefly, then turns his head to look at Peggy, "You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?"

The woman nods, "I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." She comments, Mary sends Peggy a small smile, patting her hand in comfort.

"I guess I just don't see why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... a woman. An agent, not a dame! You are beautiful, but..." Steve sputters out, embarrassment written on his face, Mary stifles a small laugh.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy asks rather bluntly.

"No, he doesn't." Mary pipes in, "James did all the talking when we were kids."

Steve nods, chuckling at the memory, "This is the longest conversation I've had with one other than Mary. Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on." He informs

Peggy raises an eyebrow at Steve's statement, "You must have danced?" She asks.

He shakes his head, "Well, asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait." He explains.

"For what?" Asked Peggy.

"The right partner." Steve replies, looking at her.

Mary smiles a bit at their interaction, the car soon pulls to a stop, the three get out of the car. The nurse rushes to Steve, whispering in his ear, "You say talking to women is terrifying but you just did a swell job of talking to Peggy." She tells her brother, watching his eyes widen as he stares at Mary, his cheeks turning a shade of pink at the same time.

Peggy gestures the siblings into an old antique shop, "This way." She tells them.

"What are we doing here?" Steve asks.

"Follow me." Is all Peggy replies with, as they step inside, Mary becomes even more confused along with Steve. They stand behind Peggy slightly, letting her do the talking as she looks at the shopkeeper.