04. The Best You Can Be

Dear Mary,

Dear Mary,

First off, you and Steve did what?! Please tell me you're at least keeping him and yourself out of trouble and/or danger, we both know how danger prone the two of you are.

You're gonna be a nurse huh? I always felt that you had a calling for taking care of people, age never mattered to you. At age 10, you helped a toddler at the play ground the three of us were at. The toddler had fallen and you were the first to help, looking the boy over, checking to see if he was hurt, you were nearly as tall as the little boy but you still picked him up because he wanted to be held. You held him 'til his mother came to check on him and take him home.

At age 14, Steve was 16, he had his first big injury from being his stubborn ass, getting himself picked on at school and bullied, i swear his second address is any alleyway he can find. He had broken his nose from a punch thrown by Gilroy Turner, you don't know this, but i beat him up the following day. You couldn't take Stevie to a hospital because money was very tight, seeing as your mother had fallen ill few weeks prior.

You had stocked up on first aid supplies, just in case something like this ever happened. i still remember Steve's shout of pain as you assessed his nose and reset it. You've been patching him and I up ever since then.

I know you'll be amazing at nursing, just don't go into battle will ya? I don't think my heart can take the stress that would bring me.

I'm proud of you for making a friend, never thought i'd see the day it happened, you were always shy, never one to speak up, only voicing your opinion when it seemed important to you or when Steve or myself were concerned; then you had a million things to say.

I'll keep an eye out for your next letter,
My Petite Nurse.
Your Sarge, Bucky

Camp Lehigh, Wheaton, New JerseyJune 21, 1943

Camp Lehigh,
Wheaton, New Jersey
June 21, 1943

Mary folds the letter in her hands, smiling to herself, her sarge, she thought to herself. She was happy to see Bucky's letter in the mail when she arrived back to her room.