Chapter 20: Somebody's heart

"There's a pull on my heart

That tells me something's bound to start

...

Now everything's new

And I don't know what to do."

Noah's POV
All I needed to do was check the mailbox, but there was something else that I saw not far from my house. A sleek, white car is parked in front of the house next door. I know that isn't the neighbour's car because I remember seeing this car elsewhere.

I flip open the mailbox, but there's nothing in there. So I ditch the mailbox and I jog over to inspect the car.

A wavy mess of blonde hair covers shields her face from prying eyes. Although her head is down, I can see that her hands are covering her face. She isn't okay at all.

Out of curiosity, I tap on the window. The girl doesn't move, so I do it again.

Richelle raises her head and brushes her hair away from her face. Her eyes are red rimmed. It's clear that she had been crying for a while. She doesn't seem surprised that I'm here, but I can tell that there's something else written all over her expression.

"Hey, you wanna talk?" I ask softly.

She simply nods in response.

"Come out of your car and we can go over to my house to talk."

I move back and allow her to push the door open. Then I extend a hand towards her as she cautiously steps out. Richelle takes my hand. I shut the door for her, and she locks her car. Together, we walk hand in hand to my house.

As I open the door to my house, Richelle remains silent by my side. I take her inside to the lounge room and plant myself down on the sofa. She follows along with me, leaning back with relief. I release my hand from hers.

We are seated a short distance apart because I don't really know what's up in her mind right now. You know, just to be safe.

"Wanna tell me what's up?"

She glances at me with glassy eyes.

"I...I don't even know..." she mumbles and looks down at her hands.

"How about –"

I pause, not quite knowing what to ask her. It's hard to say something without thinking I could hurt her feelings because she seems really fragile right now.

"It's Elliot," she starts to sob.

Tears begin to stream down her face, and I slide over to her. I wrap my arm around her gently and I pull her closer to me. Richelle buries her face in my chest as I hold her in my arms. My shirt is darkening with tears, but I don't care. I'll be here for her for as long as she needs. I don't know what that jerk did, but I know it's something bad, otherwise Richelle wouldn't be in tears.

Without thinking, I quickly kiss the top of her head. It felt right to do that, I didn't even hesitate. The real question is, why did I?
I rest my chin on top of her head, waiting patiently.

Her sobs subside and she turns her face to the side, still resting her head on my chest.

"You know, I thought he loved me. I loved him until I saw him with another girl."

"Oh."

"I knew I had to end it, so I did. Do I regret it? No, not at all."

"Well, you did what you wanted to do," I exhale, and move my head back to watch her.