013

soobin: "Hey."

y/n: "Hey."

soobin: "Where's Kai today?"

y/n: "Sick day."

soobin: "Ah."

y/n: "All the seats in the cafeteria are taken."

soobin: "I know a place."

(walking)

soobin: "So, how are things?"

y/n: "The same. More mom paranoia."

soobin: "I'm sorry."

y/n: "It's okay. What can I do? She doesn't listen, anyway."

soobin: "I wish she would. You listen to her."

y/n: "Kids have to listen to their parents. Parents don't have to listen to their kids."

soobin: "I don't believe that."

y/n: "Believe it. That's how she is." (pauses) "There's no one in this hallway."

soobin: "It's pretty quiet but I passed by it once. Plus it has a window seat."

y/n: "How did I never know about this? You're the new student."

soobin: "I'm the observant new student."

y/n: (snorts) "Okay, Mr. Arrogant."

soobin: (laughs) "I'm kidding. Here, sit down."

y/n: "It looks like it's gonna pour outside."

soobin: "It might. Luckily I brought my umbrella today."

y/n: "Good. You shouldn't make it a habit of getting your clothes soaked."

soobin: "I'm trying my best."

y/n: "Do you think you wanna go to the Fall Ball this weekend?"

soobin: (stares) 

y/n: "Like, with me and Kai. As a trio."

soobin: "As a trio. Right."

y/n: "Right."

soobin: "I just might. I need coverage."

y/n: "Coverage?"

soobin: "Annie won't stop asking me about whether I'm going or not. If I do go and she sees me alone, she'll hound me."

y/n: "You know she likes you, right?"

soobin: "So I've been told. She's nice. I just don't like her like that."

y/n: "And you have a girlfriend."

soobin: "Right." (sighs) "You know, Annie said something that really bothered me."

y/n: "What did she say?"

soobin: "She called me an ideal."

y/n: "An ideal?"

soobin: "Yeah. Like, I'm some perfect person to everyone so it makes me an ideal. Easily likable. And she said [girlfriend] is an ideal, too, so it only makes sense that we're together."

y/n: "Why does that bother you?"

soobin: "I don't know... I'd hope that we've been together all these years for reasons beyond looking perfect to everyone. I'm not perfect."

y/n: "No one is."

soobin: "Exactly. And when I asked [girlfriend] about it, she..."

y/n: "She what?"

soobin: "Her answer wasn't what I was hoping it would be. It just made me think, that's all."

y/n: "Think about what?"

soobin: "About our relationship. About what it really means."

y/n: "Soobin... don't think like that. It means something, it has to. You've been together for so long. I'm sure she cares about you."

soobin: "I know. I used to tell myself the same thing. But now I'm wondering if longevity matters more than feelings."

y/n: "What do you mean?"

soobin: "I just... I wonder if even though we've been together for years, this isn't what I thought it was."

y/n: "Which is?"

soobin: "Real. I thought we were real."

y/n: "Soobin, of course you're in a real relationship. She really likes you. Don't say that."

soobin: "I'm sorry. I probably sound like a baby right now."

y/n: "You don't. It's natural to get insecure sometimes in relationships. I get it. But have a little faith. I can tell that [girlfriend] cares about you."

soobin: "You can?"

y/n: "Sure. Anyone who really got to know you would care about you. I care about you." 

(silence)

y/n: "What I mean is--"

soobin: "I care about you, too." 

y/n: "...y-you do?"

soobin: "Of course. You're one of my closest friends now, [y/n]. I feel like I should've met you a long time ago. I wish I did."

y/n: "Me too. Timing is a funny thing, unfortunately."

soobin: "Unfortunately?"

y/n: "Fortunately, I mean. Fortunately."

soobin: "You know that I have your back, right? I trust you and I want you to trust me, too."

y/n: "I do trust you."

soobin: "Good. Keep doing that."