98 | Sixteen. Forever.

I kept staring at Alex from the atheistic, cynical, skeptic, and highly narrow-minded Science Committee. She looked up at me shyly, as if realizing what had just happened--yes, she had just believed the gospel about the Lord Jesus Christ.

I was at a loss for words. When she was in front of me, we both just broke out in nervous chuckles.

"Congratulations, Alex," I said, giving her a pursed smile.

She brushed her hair over her ear and nodded. "I always knew there was something more... I just didn't know what it was... before. And now I do. In all honesty, all I ever really doubted was the fact that Jesus is God. I mean, you know, I've read 'Why I Am Not A Christian' by Bertrand Russell. And... I do accept all religions to be true, I mean, we all have different truths. Like, if you believe that, then it's real for you. But Christianity was the one religion I found faulty."

"Why?" I asked.

"Well, Christians keep saying Jesus is God, when all there is in the Bible was that He was God's Son. So how could He be God, you know." She shrugged.

Before I could open my mouth to answer, she cut me off, "But it was like the Lord had broken down into that atheistic mindset of mine and just told me He is God. I mean, the moment you invited people to accept Jesus, something just came over me, like, 'Whooosh!'" She said, demonstrating the scene with both her hands. She presented some presence came over her like a rainfall. "And I just started to cry and it was like, I just knew instantly that Jesus is God, and that He is real, He died for me, and now He lives for you and me. When a presence came over me, it was like God just said, 'I'm God. Jesus is my Son. The Holy Spirit is your Helper. Hell's real. Heaven's real. Everything in the Bible is real." She laughed in sheer amazement, tossing her head back.

Meredith joined us, propping in beside me. She looked at Alex, grinning.

"I guess I'm now a Christian!" Alex added, laughing all the more. Meredith giggled and hugged her. It took the girl by surprise but she immediately hugged her back.

"Not without us!" Aubrey said, trotting towards us and tackling us three in a bear hug. In a moment Trey and Lily and everyone else in the club all joined in. 

And then I looked up, and realized Samuel stood staring at us. He looked at us expressionless. His hands were motionlessly propped beside him.

We all stared back at him. I said, "Samuel?"

"Is there one more room for me?" He asked. It took me seconds to process that, and I realized he was talking about the group hug.

"Come on in!" Trey said, pulling him in a headlock and we all resumed our group hug, laughing wildly.

***

"How was school?" Mom asked me as soon as I stepped inside the foyer. She wore her worn-out white tee shirt and sweatpants. That was weird. Usually she'd still be in her office at this hour. It looked like she came home earlier today.

I looked up at her in surprise as I took off my comfort jacket. I hung it on the coat rack and fumbled for the words, "It was great."

Mom smiled wistfully, as if she had just missed something important. 

I knew where she was getting at. I sighed and gave her my most comforting smile. "I missed you a lot too, Mom."

She grinned and tackled me in a hug, crying. I cried too, but I tried my best to do it silently. 

"You're my big boy," she said through tears, squeezing my face with both her hands. Then she kissed me on the forehead and hugged me tight again.

And that was comforting. I didn't know how much snot I had to hold in during that emotional moment, but I was pretty sure I apologized about staining Mom's shirt that time. It was a long time ago, I couldn't quite remember the exact details, but just the significant parts stayed with me. I remember letting her hug me for so long that evening, that I knew I had to miss the sunset.

"You came home early," I told her when I came downstairs after changing into fresh new house clothes--a light blue Raglan shirt and khaki shorts. I propped down our couch and brought out a notepad from my backpack.

"I kind of couldn't wait for us to make up," Mom said, sitting down beside me. She ran her fingers through my hair and smiled wistfully again. "I wish you didn't have to grow up, Charlie. That you're always going to be sixteen. Forever."

I smiled and chuckled. "How I wish too, Mom." She laughed.

"But you have to grow up," she said. "You have to be your own man, making your own decisions. And if one of those decisions include you getting into some kind of religion, then I'm fine with that. As long as it makes you happy."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I grinned and hugged her. "Mom, thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

She laughed and kissed me on the cheek this time. "I'm going to take advantage of this time before you grow old enough to dodge my kisses."

I laughed.

***

"Everything's going great now too," I told Meredith as I sat down their porch railing.

She grinned and raised her hands in a 'yahoo' expression. "That's great!"

I laughed. I realized something. "God really does do amazing things as long as you just obey Him, doesn't He?"

Meredith smiled.

"I guess He tested me," I said. I shook my head in disbelieving awe. "He tested me before He brought out His promises for me. Before He rewarded me for my actions. He tested if I can be proven faithful even when I can't see what He's saying; what He's promising. He tested me if I was going to still follow Him even when every way He leads me to seems so bleak."

Meredith patted my shoulder. "Good for you, Charlie."

I laughed and turned to her. "God is... something."

She nodded and laughed louder than me. Then she looked behind her, to our house. "I think your dad's home."

I grinned. "I guess he is." I stood. "Wanna come over for dinner? My mom loves you now."

"Wow! Does that mean I can be your adopted sister?" She asked, her eyes growing wide with excitement.

I laughed. "You tell my mom that! I think she'd love to have a daughter as unique as you."

"You know I will!" She said, giggling. We walked towards my house, laughing at how amazingly the day ended.