VIII.

Unedited*

Once I was sure the mountain prince was gone, I examined the food before scarfing it down with ravenous hunger.

My stomach was screaming for food but my body was hurting too much to process it.

I choked and gagged as I wretched from eating too fast.

My hands flew to my stomach as tried to relax before I curled up in a ball in my brick-hard bed.

Sleeping on hay was better than this.

Being a peasant was far better than being a general in training.

Being in Bláth Farriage was far better than Spéir.

My eyes struggled to focus on the window I laid next to a puddle of vomit and a half eaten bag of freshly baked bread. 

I was going to die. 

The door to my room creaked open, revealing Adestes in his usual glory.

 His nose curled as he entered the room before disgust quickly painted his face. 

"What are you? A dog?" He scowled. "Vomiting in the same place you sleep at night?" He arched a brow. "Nobody's going to clean that, you know." 

I didn't have the energy to reply. 

"Well. I'll just leave your clothes on the ground." 

He threw them on the dirty cobblestone before covering his nose. 

"It smells putrid in here... so I'll be taking my leave." He quickly headed to the door. "Don't keep the knights waiting too long." He slammed the door leaving me to my thoughts as I searched my shivering and tired body for any energy.

Any emergency strength.

 Anything. 

There was nothing left. 

I sighed weakly as I contemplated on going back to sleep. 

All I could do was die or fight. 

Death didn't sound too bad as I let my eyes flutter shut. 

I'm not entirely sure how long I was asleep, but the sound of heavy footstep jolted me awake. 

"Hey. Relax." 

I looked up at Horace with exhausted teary eyes. "Please-"

"I promise I won't hurt you." 

I looked over the blonde man wearily before letting my aching body relax back into my hard bed.

"I figured I'd check on you since you didn't come down an hour ago." He sighed. "I'll go tell the others you're sick and come back to take care of you. Yeah?"

I nodded weakly. "Thanks."

He shook his head. "No need." He sighed. "It's my fault you're even here." He looked down. "I lied to you to get you here... and you've been suffering ever since." 

Horace looked back up at me. 

I offered a tired smile and he frowned before heading to the door. 

"I'll be back soon. Get some rest."

I nodded drowsily and went back to sleep. 

I woke up again to the sound of sloshing water and scrubbing. 

I cracked open my eyes and forced them to focus on the blur before me. 

Horace was cleaning the pool of vomit and disposed of my soiled blanket. He looked focused but sad. I fell asleep again, enjoying the fresh scent of dried lavender as he worked.