Prologue: A Shadow and A Spark

~Ravens POV~

2370, that was the year I had graduated from my high school. I lived where 21st Century Romania would be. A smaller community compared to the cities around there, quiet too. 11 years of education, what history we still have on record, basic mechanics, mathematics, physical training, the usual classes. I had wanted to sign up for the EDTF Army Corps, but I had a few conditions that made me ineligible. 

I would be in my seat at my graduation ceremony, waiting for my name to be called. People cheering around me, congratulations being tossed around. I simply patiently waited next to my Aunt and Uncle, the two people who raised me. My parents were out of the picture, I didn't even know what they looked like, or even if they're alive. I continued to listen for my name, and when it finally came up, I stood from my seat, not before my Uncle Shaun gave me a few reassuring pats on my shoulder. I went up to the stage, shook my teacher's hands, my principal, the school counselor as well. Until I finally stepped down, taking back my seat next to my uncle and aunt.

After the ceremony was over, I would be outside in the front of the school grounds, unlocking the door to my car. I would turn the key in the keyhole as the car made an audible "click" when it unlocked. I'd feel a familiar hand tap my shoulder, turning and seeing my Uncle, before my Aunt Jess gave me a firm hug. "Congrats on making it hun, you're all grown now my gosh." I gave a small smile, patting my Aunt's back. "Thank you." is all I could muster to say. My uncle and aunt would walk towards their truck, but before my Uncle Shaun stepped into the driver's seat, he would call back to me. "Hey kiddo! Have a good time with your friends, I'll see you back at the house. And tell Dominic I said hello!" I would give a nod, waving to him. "Thanks." I would watch as their truck started and rolled out of the parking lot, driving out of sight.

I would finally open the door to my car, ducking my head down and shifting into the driver's seat, moving my hand to start the ignition, but as I did, I'd hear footsteps approaching, along with a voice I didn't recognize. "Excuse me, are you Raven?" I would perk my head up, turning to see a man in a formal suit, with his hair neatly combed, and an EDTF patch on his chest. I would hesitantly respond. "That would be me yeah. Why do you ask?" The man would introduce himself, standing firm but relaxed. "My name is Tom Smith, I work with an experimental division of the EDTF, and I have a proposition to give you." I would narrow my eyes, glancing away from the man. "You're a recruiter. I already applied, I was ineligible." He'd only scoff. "Yes I know I read your application form and I also know you were eager to be in the Army. If you're still wanting to enlist, my division would help you do a lot more than you could even in the Rangers." What he had said caught me off guard, sitting silent and thinking for a moment.

Finally, I turned to face Tom, giving a small shrug. "I-I really don't know, that's a lot to take in, I didn't think I'd get a chance after that." Tom only gave a smile. "I'll give you time to think on it, but if you make up your mind, give me a call." He would hand me a card, starting to walk off. "See you round, and congrats on the graduation." I watched him walk off for a moment before turning to examine the card he handed me. The front of the card would have the logo of a Shield  with a sword behind it, both surrounded by a simple flame, under it the words would read "Firebreak Division, R&D" along with a number that didn't match the standard phone numbers. I would remove the cap from my head, setting it in the passenger seat. I gave the card another look before I would open the glove compartment, setting the card inside before pushing it shut. I then finally hit the ignition on my car, shifting it into gear and backing out of the parking space, shifting the gears again before pulling out of the lot, starting to dive to where my friend's had planned to meet in order to celebrate. 

While on the road, I switched on the radio, listening to rock music and turning up the volume slightly. I would slowly bob my head, matching the beat. When I had finally arrived, I pulled into a parking spot, shifting the car into park and turning the engine off. pulling out the keys and pushing open the door. I stepped out of the car, feeling the cool breeze of air wash over me, turning around and pulling off my gown, swapping it out for a warm jacket I had on the floor of the passenger seat, but before I shut the car door, I leaned back into the car, unlatching the glove compartment and grabbing the card Tom handed me, slipping it into my pocket, leaning out and shutting the door, making my way to the door of the entrance of the restraint, giving a small glance to the EDTF VTOLs that swiftly flew overhead,  watching as they crossed the sky. I shook my head, opening the door and heading inside. I would survey the seats, searching for Dom and James. as I spotted them, James sat up and waved me over. "Hey, over here ya dullard!" he'd call to me. I gave a small wave, taking a seat next to Dom and across from James.