Scene 5 - An Escape Route

We have returned to the café with Charlotte still sat outside, miming as she drinks her tea. The stage is naturally lighted. With her sat with another chair to her side. There are only a few parsers on from time to time, and The Prisoner emerges from stage right with the driver and the car once again.

Driver:

You have reached your final destination. Tip sir?

The Prisoner jumps out ignoring him, the car then wheels over to the other side.

Charlotte:

Ah, dear fellow. You asked that gentlemen about taking you to the Green Dome?

The Prisoner:

Alright, cut the drama queen out!

Charlotte:

Sir?

The Prisoner:

Come on, I know you're acting. Now why?

Charlotte:

Oh, alright!

The Prisoner:

Now for a start you can tell me why you are playing games with me!

Charlotte:

I was only doing it for fun. That's what's this place is supposed to be.

The Prisoner:

That's what you're supposed to think! I've learnt enough to learn that you can only rely on yourself because the world is a cruel place. And that everyone is only out for themselves!

Charlotte:

What do you want off me?

The Prisoner:

Good. You! I know your acting around here, and you know something about this place. What is it?

She carefully looks around and there is nobody about.

Charlotte:

Alright, there was this person here some time ago. His named was Paul, and...

The Prisoner:

And...

Charlotte:

Well, I... liked him. We found an escape route from this place. The people here enter through a... You're probably not going to believe the rest of this.

The Prisoner:

I'll believe anything!

Charlotte:

Right. Well they take them in from a strange wormhole they generate. Whenever they are attempting to hunt or track someone, they open up the wormhole and go in to take the next captive. That's how they've captured all of us here.

The Prisoner:

And this man you liked, what about him? Did he learn to escape?

Charlotte:

He did. He was going to escape through. Because whenever you go through it takes you to wherever you want.

The Prisoner:

Could it take you home?

Charlotte:

Of course.

The Prisoner:

And where is this wormhole they generate?

Charlotte:

It's in a field, approaching the beaches.

The Prisoner:

And why has nobody tried to escape through it before? No, don't tell me, it's guarded.

Charlotte:

There are all sorts of guards around there. Paul tried that.

The Prisoner:

And Paul, the man you like, what happened to him?

Charlotte:

They took him... And killed him!

She thumps her head down into her arms and cries. The Prisoner rises out of his chair angrily.

The Prisoner:

Now listen! I'm going to get out of this place no matter what it takes! And I'm going to get back to reality. So stop blubbering and get up! We have some work to do girl!

The man then reads over the information on the slip of paper, placing it down on the chair.

Come on!

He takes her up and they run off stage left once again. But then the Waitress enters from the same side.

Waitress:

Mam? Mam?

There was nobody there. She notices the paper and picks it up safe and leaves the same side of the stage.