Chapter 1 - Campgrounds

Start from the beginning

Since I've got all this time to kill, I decided to take an early walk. Nothing serious, just idling around until the normal people start to stirr.

I used to think that being awake so early would be lonely and depressing. But, I actually quite like it, it's nice. The whole world is still sleeping, but I get to experience the peace that comes with the silence. Most of the animals are either just waking up or just going to sleep. So, it's still pretty quiet. Besides, I like the alone time. I don't have to worry about interacting with people until the sun is in the sky.

As I was wandering, enjoying my time to myself, I caught a glimpse of a figure between the trees. I paused in my step, shocked. I turned my gaze to better study the person. It looked like a guy from here.

He had a black jacket with the hood pulled up over his head. His back was turned towards me, so I couldn't really see his face. He's just kinda standing there, breathing hard. Did he just go for a run??

People usually aren't awake at this hour -unless they're weird-.

I was so fascinated by another person being awake right now that, at first, I didn't even notice his hands. They were dripping with...something. I can't make it out from here. He's too far away and the sky is too dark.

I quietly took a step closer, trying to get a better chance at figuring out what was all over him. My breath caught in my throat, upon finally catching sight of the rather concerning detail hidden under the brush.

My eyes focused, then unfocused, as they processed the body of a middle aged woman lying on her back, motionless. Leaves and dirt covered her as if she had been dragged through the mud, or half obscured. Twigs were tangled in her pale blonde hair, her clothes were stained with blood, and it was now that I realized what strange redness was dripping from the stranger's trembling fists.

He began to walk, and I quickly ducked behind a tree to avoid him. I slapped a hand over my mouth to silence my scream, desperate to keep him from noticing me. I watched as he walked away, heading towards the lake if I remember the ground's map correctly.

I held my breath, staying motionless as I watched the dark figure fade from my vision. Once I was confident he was gone, I turned on my heels and ran back towards my campsite.

I'm not much of a runner, mainly because of my asthma, but this scenario was literally life or death, so a bit of trouble breathing was something I had no issue dealing with.

After a good ten minutes of running, I finally caught a glimpse of an orange tent in the distance. My chest was tight and lungs were burning, but I felt relief at the hope of salvation. I'd feel much better if I weren't alone. It also helps that my friend's boyfriend just so happens to do martial arts in his free time. So, if I'm around both of them, I know I'd be safe.

I reached my friend's tent, immediately having no issues making a ton of noise as I desperately woke them both up. I barely had enough time to stop and unzip the door before I threw myself inside and began frantically shaking and calling for both of them to open their eyes.

My friend, Adiyiah, jumped up with a start; her boyfriend did the same about a second later. I could tell she wanted to chew me out for waking her up so early, but when she saw my expression her anger quickly turned to concern. She grabbed my shoulders, trying to steady the panting, shivering state I was currently in.

It was her boyfriend, Cayden, who asked me what was going on. But, seeing how I was in the middle of a combination asthma/panic attack; I didn't exactly have the words I needed. All I really managed to cry out was "Lady, "Dead", and "Woods".

Those were enough to get my point across. He immediately went into action, barely even pulling a shirt over his bare chest before jumping to his feet and announcing that he was running to get a camp official, or call the cops. He told us to stay here and to not go anywhere alone while he was gone. I was perfectly fine with that because I did not want to be in this campsite by myself while that guy is still out there.