Chapter 46: The Reformation

Start from the beginning

"Alright," Gai roared, caught up in the moment. He ripped a giant rock free from of the earth, hefting it into a pitcher's stance. Shikamaru stepped away, looking worried. Before anyone could stop him, he threw the third-ton chunk of granite at Naruto and Hinata. Both teens' heads jerked to look at the stony missile. The other weapons slowed, as most of the attackers paused in concern. Hinata's right arm, and Naruto's left arm snapped out as one, as if they were connected at the wrist. They combined their strikes effortlessly, and the rock exploded. Their arms split apart again, and they individually destroyed the remaining pieces.

The test finally ended when their attackers ran out of ammunition. As the projectiles stopped flying, Naruto and Hinata ended the Jutsu with matched exhales of relief. Once it was safe, their friends flooded the field to congratulate them.

"I need to see Teams 7, 8, and 10 in my office," Tsunade announced when she entered the clearing. She caught Genma's eye, and her assistant nodded, before disappearing.

"It seems we are ready," the Hokage announced, despite the fact Sai and Kurenai were both missing.

"I have been considering this for a while," she informed them, "But what I have just seen clinches it. I have decided to eliminate your teams."

The Chunin's yells of protest combined into an incomprehensible roar. Only Kakashi, the only Jonin present, besides Tsunade and Shizune, and Shikamaru remained silent.

"QUIET!" the leader of the Leaf Ninja roared, and everyone complied.

"As it stands, none of your teams are complete. The Sai experiment failed, he will be returning to the ANBU. That leaves Kakashi short a Chunin, and the rest of you don't have a Jonin leader. Also, those outdated team numbers should have gone away as soon as you were accepted as Genin teams, but some how they stuck."

"What do you mean, we do not have a Jonin?" Shino asked, "Kurenai-sensei..."

"Will not be returning to normal duty," Tsunade explained. The Chunin began to shout questions again, but Tsunade raised her hand.

"I suppose I had better explain that part first," she sighed.

"The Kazekage and I have come up with a new way to strengthen the ties between our villages. We are each sending one Jonin to live in the other village, as a diplomat. Or as I like to think of it, a 'mutual hostage exchange'."

"Cute," Shikamaru said sardonically, "So we can refuse any mission that would put us at odds with the Sand, because they have one of our people. I'm guessing that's Kurenai?"

"Correct," the Hokage nodded, "Given that she is raising Saru alone, she felt it was too dangerous to be going out on missions. Instead, she will be helping Gaara set up an academy similar to our own. And in return..."

Shikamaru cut her off, saying "You might as well come out, Tema-chan."

The Sand Kunoichi appeared behind him, and punched him in the shoulder. Hard.

"I told you not to call me that in public," she griped, "Jerk."

"Wait, you two are?" Naruto's head jerked back and forth between the two of them, "But when I asked before, you said you weren't."

"That was then, this is now," Shikamaru said.

"ANYWAY," the Hokage said loudly, to regain their attention, "As I said, you are all short handed. So I am reforming the teams, starting today. Of course, there will always be times when you will have to work in different groups, but as before, these will be your primary partners."

"Team Kakashi, will continue to consist of Kakashi Hatake, Naruto Uzumaki, and Sakura Haruno," she explained, looking at the folder, "And as it would be foolish to separate such a perfectly synchronized duo, I'm also placing Hinata Hyuga on Kakashi's team."