Chapter 40: Coming of Age

Start from the beginning

"Hinata, you... I... didn't think you would... not that I don't want to..." he stammered rapidly.

"Pervert," she admonished gently, with none of the anger or blunt force trauma that usually accompanied Sakura's use of the word. He finally looked at her, and quickly understood. Underneath her shozoku's top, the Hyuga heiress was not wearing a bra, but instead her two-tone blue swimsuit.

"The weather is pretty warm, but it is still October, so the waterfall lagoon probably won't be in use. I thought we could go for a swim after breakfast."

He just blinked.

"If that's ok," she added slowly.

"Ok?" he grabbed her hand, excited, "It's brilliant, Hinata. I would never have thought of that, but going swimming sounds great."

Then slightly more serious, he added, "You gotta relax, Hinata. I'm sure I'll love anything you planned."

"OK," she nodded. His eyes locked on her face, and her released her hands to reach up and snag a bit of pastry and frosting clinging to her cheek. He popped the crumb in his mouth.

"That's the kinda sugar papa likes," he told her slyly. She knew he was just quoting a song title, but she couldn't help but grin and blush. He smirked back at her, and she leaned towards him. Naruto responded enthusiastically to her uncommon initiative, and kissed her warmly. When they broke apart, the look of glorious contentment on her face filled his heart.

"I don't know what I did to deserve you," he said, slightly hoarse.

"I love you, too, Naruto," she touched his face. They started to meet again, but were interrupted by a loud bubbling rumble in his gut.

"Fine," he growled, reaching for a chocolate glazed ring.

"I guess he wants the other kind of sugar," he told Hinata regretfully. She giggled, and resuming her own meal.

"Mood killer," Uzumaki glared at his belly. His stomach just burbled happily in response.

On their way back from swimming, the pair had stopped at Ichiraku for a quick lunch. All morning, Naruto had tried to wheedle and weasel details out of her; but Hinata 'stood' her ground, even when writhing on the sandy beach from his tickle attack. After they finished eating, she had instructed him to go home and change into something nice, and that she would rejoin him in an hour.

Though he had thought he knew where they were going, Hinata had again shocked him by taking him to one of the Konohagakure's movie theaters for a matinee of the newly released "Dragon Zone 2". Doubly so, because he knew Hinata did not like police/action dramas as much as he did, preferring instead romantic comedies or fantasy films.

Hinata managed to enjoy the movie, or more accurately, she enjoyed Naruto's enjoyment.

"But why'd you make me get dressed up to go to a movie?" Naruto abruptly asked as they walked away from the movie house.

"Because I knew we wouldn't have time to go change before dinner," she told him.

"Does that mean..."

"Of course," she beamed at him, "Where else? Where better?"

They were obviously expected at the Golden Shoe. A slim man, only a few years older than them, was waiting inside the door.

"Lady Hyuga, Master Uzumaki, right this way," he addressed them without preamble. They followed him to the smaller of the dancehall's two private rooms. Designed for six to ten people, it seemed a little large for the two of them. As per Hinata's instructions, the room was decorated with a large 'Happy Birthday' sign, and numerous streamers. There were only two tables, one set up for eating, and another containing a small cake and three wrapped packages.