Chapter 35: Funeral Dirge

Start from the beginning

"The Ranshinsho," Kabuto noted, sending chakra into his shoulder, "The old witch taught you her trick. Too bad I have an antidote now."

He flexed again, his arm moving normally. Kabuto then focused fully one Naruto, crafting three chakra scalpels in his right hand.

"And of course, she's not here to save you this time," he concluded, throwing one of the blades, and following it in. The teen knocked away the projectile, but that left him open for a duo of long cuts on his left arm. The Genin slashed out in return, but his opponent was able to dodge. Naruto noticed something odd about the cuts he had taken. The wound on his face was still there, and all three hurt more than they should. He looked down at his injured bicep, confused.

"Finally noticed? My improved scalpels slow down the healing in any wound they make. Against normal people, that makes them far more lethal, as they don't stop bleeding. Of course, you aren't normal, but it should still be enough to even the score."

"Is that what you did to Gaara?" Uzumaki snarled. But Kabuto shook his head 'no'.

"No, his defense was ultimately too strong for even these knives. The Kazekage was strong enough to become the first victim of the ultimate outcome of my research."

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

Kabuto smirked, "There's no need for me to use that against a third rate Genin like you."

"I may still be a Genin, but I'm seven times the ninja you could have been," Naruto would not be baited this time. Instead, he sent his chakra into Kitsune to create the wind sword. He closed the gap, chopping at Kabuto with both hands on Kitsune's grip. Orochimaru's apprentice attempted to block with his two scalpels, but the chakra blade carved right though them, and Kabuto was forced to dive away. Naruto followed, dropping an axe kick on Kabuto's shoulder. Orochimaru's apprentice took the blow with only a grimace, and Naruto was surprised by how sturdy his opponent was.

Kabuto formed another blade, and stabbed at Naruto's exposed crotch. With a look of utter terror, the teen arced his body oddly to avoid the attack, allowing Kabuto to sweep his legs. The doctor rolled in top of Naruto, pinning his opponent's right arm and slashing at the blond's neck. Before he connected, Naruto kicked him in the back of the head, sending him tumbling away. When he turned back, Naruto now held a Rasengan in his left hand, retaining Kitsune in his right. Kabuto was mildly unnerved that the boy had formed the jutsu that quickly, and with only one hand.

"Shizune," Sakura shouted as they ran into the camp. On the way into the camp, they passed Ino, Tenten, and Gai, who were heading out again. Hinata gave the passcode, and seeing who Sakura was carrying, Tsunade's assistant gave over Neji's treatment to another of the medics.

"What happened?" Shizune queried, leading them to one of the workstations.

"Stabbed in the stomach with a semi blunt object," Haruno offered, placing the Kazekage on the indicated table without releasing her Life Sustain jutsu.

"We did not see what Kabuto stabbed him with," Hinata added.

"Where is Naruto?" the doctor asked, as she examined her patient.

"He went after Kabuto," Hinata answered. Shizune was not surprised.

"OK, I'm gonna need help from both of you," the medic told the younger girls, "Sakura, you'll assist me with the healing. And Hinata, I need your eyes."

Though reluctant, both Kunoichi nodded.

Kabuto dodged narrowly behind one of the reinforced, stone operating tables. The boy was exhibiting far greater control of the Rasengan. In addition, the combination of the enhanced staff-blade and the roiling chakra sphere was making his short-range attacks ineffective. Even when he managed to get past the sword, the Rasengan was waiting. Kabuto retreated to one of his cabinets, quickly extracting a dozen surgical blades. He threw the first six at Naruto, to distract the youth and buy him some time. He slipped three others back into the hidden sheath in his right sleeve. He grasped the remaining three between the fingers of his right hand, lace one each with fire, lightning, and earth chakra.