Chapter 34: Hissing Anger

Start from the beginning

"In the end, it is up to her," Tsunade looked back at the teen, "Do you think she can handle it?"

"Anko was strong enough to attract Orochimaru's attention in the first place," the teacher of the Sannin sounded sure of himself, "And she escaped from him. She will persevere."

"I heard everything they said, so I figured you two would hate me as the intruder who broke up your team," Anko grumbled, "Of course, I ended up being wrong about that."

Yugao's eyes narrowed, and she said, "That is why you made it so hard to get close to you."

"She didn't make it that hard," Iruka defended her.

"Hizashi-sensei, will you teach me the staff-blade?" Anko asked sweetly.

"Of course, Anko," the Hyuga Jonin was surprised by the Genin's request. Though he had grown to love it, his choice of the under-appreciated weapon was to thumb his nose at the clan. He was not sure why Anko would want to learn it. She could not want to set herself further apart. He decided it didn't matter, he was happy to pass on his skills.

"Me too," Iruka suddenly jumped in. Unlike Anko, Hizashi knew exactly why Iruka wanted to study the blunted sword.

"OK, I will teach you both," he smiled indulgently at they energetic teens.

Iruka tumbled to the ground. Anko set aside her practice weapon, and leaned over her practice partner.

"I'm sorry," she said, her sincerity suspect due to the smug chuckle she could not quite hide. Still, she extended her hand and helped him up.

"Are you OK?" she asked. He shook his head ruefully.

"Yeah, but I can't seem to keep up with you."

"You're leaving yourself open, on purpose" Hizashi comment was more for Anko than for Iruka, "You don't go full out against her."

The male Genin shrugged with a sheepish look, and their weapons master sighed.

"Fine, then both of you come at me."

Later, after their lesson finished, Anko confronted him.

"You didn't hold back against Hizashi-sensei," she told him, "I could tell. So why hold back against me."

"You're my teammate."

"And sensei isn't," she sounded confused.

"Back at the academy, my class had a saying, 'Sensei is a polite way to say enemy.'," he explained, "I mean, he's stronger, has a longer reach, and is more skilled. The only way I stand a chance against him is to be serious. With you, I can test new techniques. If they don't work, at least I don't get drubbed to badly."

"Are you saying I'm not as good as sensei?" she seemed affronted.

"Are you saying you are?" he was surprised and confused.

"Probably not," she agreed, discarding her false anger. With a twinkle in her eye she added, "Yet."

"Says the man who took repeated beatings just to get close to her," Yugao taunted, but kindly. Iruka blushed, and grinned; and even Anko smirked at him, before remembering she was supposed to be mad.

"You know, neither one of you ever told me how you became friends instead of just teammates," Iruka mused. But neither woman looked happy at the reminder.

"Come on, give me a kiss," the blond-haired Genin said mockingly, stepping closer. His redhead friend grinned darkly.

"Buzz off," Anko hissed, but there was an undercurrent of worry in her voice. She tried to maneuver past them, but the older boys cut her off.