Chapter 30: Muted Time

Start from the beginning

"So that's why he's never been injured," Ino gulped.

"He can't be that tough," Choji grunted. He crossed the gap, and aimed his left fist at Yama's face, greatly increasing its size and power again. But the blow did not hurt him; it didn't even budge him a tiny bit. Akimichi kicked out, placing an expanded foot in Yama's stomach. But Kabuto's henchman didn't even exhale from the attack. Yama grabbed Choji's head, faster than the boy could dodge. He lifted the Leaf Shinobi with ease, and threw him at Temari like a rag doll.

"Choji," the eldest Sand Sibling helped him up, "Do you think you can hold him long enough for Shadow Possession or Mind Destruction?"

"I can try," he groaned slightly, shaking his head to work out the kink in his neck. He stepped forward, and pronounced, "Limited Expansion Jutsu."

Akimichi took another step forward, as his height, width, and depth all doubled. Nearly twelve feet tall, he was head and shoulders above the Sound Ninja. He grappled with Yama, but despite his increased size and strength, Choji could barely hold their enemy in place.

"Why the Shadow Possession Jutsu?" Shikamaru asked, as Choji was growing, "Why not use the Shadow Strangulation Jutsu?"

"Physical attacks don't seem to be working, and the Shadow Possession takes less of your chakra," she explained.

"He still needs to breath."

"Fine," she sighed, "Do what you want."

"No, no," he winked at her, "You're in charge."

She tried to glare at him, but couldn't.

"Mind Destruction Jutsu," Ino stared at Yama's face through her laced fingers. But she quickly took her hands apart.

"It didn't work," the Chunin blonde whined.

"What? Why not?"

"I don't know," Ino snapped, "Maybe Orochimaru put his brain in a jar somewhere."

"Hurry it up," Choji's voice was strained from the effort.

"Shadow Possession Jutsu," Shikamaru incanted. His shadow extended, touching the shadow around Yama's feet. But it did not connect, and Yama pushed Choji back a step.

"This isn't working either?" Shikamaru sounded confused, "Fine... Shadow Strangulation Jutsu."

The silhouette darted forward again, but once more it failed to connect with Yama's shadow. It stayed flat on the ground, until Shikamaru ended the technique. Choji could no longer hold Yama, and was thrown back. He hit a building, and shrunk back to normal size.

"Is this guy immune to all our jutsu?" Ino sounded worried.

"No way," Choji protested. Shikamaru leapt back, and the crouched down. He placed his fingertips together, forming a sort of inverted cage; and then he closed his eyes.

"You better think of something, Shika," Temari ordered, rolled forward, and stabbing the end of her fan into Yama's stomach.

"Let's try to buy him some time," the Sand Jonin instructed.

'Nothing is working,' Shikamaru thought, 'But why?'

"Temari, can I get a breeze," Ino drew out a small pouch.

'Physical attacks are one thing,' he considered.

The Sand Kunoichi waved her fan, and Leaf Kunoichi dumped out the set of paper bombs.

'Ino's attack didn't work, which means there's no mind,' he decided, 'No physical injury and no mind could mean a puppet. But Choji didn't say he felt strange to the touch.'