Chapter 28: Bearing the Noise

Start from the beginning

"Partner..." he suddenly remembered, "Hey, what about Hanabi?"

Tsunade realized she had forgotten his temporary teammate as well. She shrugged, and told him, "Hanabi Hyuga was being allowed to participate as your partner. If you don't go, then she can't either. Does that change your decision?"

"No," he answered, "I don't want to let Hanabi down, but I have to do what I think is right."

"If you want, I can tell her I'm forcing you to go."

"No, I don't want to lie to her," he smiled ruefully, "I'll tell her."

Tsunade stood, impressed by his integrity.

"The briefing will most likely be after lunch. We have some last details to hash out, and then I need some sleep. I'll send Genma or Raido around later with the details."

She saw herself out, but Naruto did not go back to bed. Instead he dressed slowly, and then left his apartment.

Naruto stood outside the Hyuga Manor, not sure what he should do. He couldn't just sneak in. He didn't know where Hanabi's room was, and if he got caught... He didn't want to think about what Hiashi Hyuga might do given an excuse. But he also didn't want to wake up the whole house.

He decided to go with the old cliché. He walked around the house to Hinata's room, collecting pebbles along the way. After he found the right window, he began to bounce the small stones off it, trying to wake the occupant. After the fourth rock nearly struck his face on the rebound, the lights went on in the room. The window opened, and Uzumaki realized he had the wrong room.

"What do you want, Naruto?" Hiashi's tone was dry, but held just a hint of danger, "Attempting to arrange a late night rendezvous with my daughter?"

"Actually, sir," Naruto played it polite as a matter of self preservation, "I'm trying to find Hanabi. I need to talk to her about the Chunin Exam."

"Can't it wait until after sunrise?" his anger abated, the clan leader was just annoyed, "You'll be leaving together then."

"No," Naruto said pointedly, "We won't."

Hiashi did not need the Byakugan to see how serious Naruto was.

"I'll wake her," he told the boy, "And then I will meet you at the main gate."

Naruto nodded and trotted back to the front of the house.

The elder Genin told father and daughter about the Hokage's visit, and what she had said, leaving off only her grandiose statements about how the mission could end.

"You're going, aren't you?" Hanabi stabbed while he was trying to find the words to tell her, "After all, if you had turned her down, you wouldn't have dragged me out of bed at four in the morning."

"Hanabi, I'm sorry," Naruto bowed his head, "But she said if this fails, it could hurt the village. I couldn't say no."

"Nor should you," Hiashi affirmed, letting his relief show, "That is a very responsible decision, Naruto, putting the village before your own advancement."

The possessed blond was not fooled by the sudden support, but was not about to turn down an ally, either. Hanabi did not appear to agree with them.

"Listen, Hanabi, I'll make it up to you. The next exam, we'll compete together, no matter what."

"You assume I'll still be that desperate in six months," she said coldly. She refused to look at him, and after a minute, Naruto stood.

"I really am sorry, Hanabi."