Chapter 8: Challenge: Which is the Strongest Dojutsu?

Start from the beginning

The four teens ran out the building, and to the edge of the village before Sakura stopped. Hinata and Lee pulled up easily, but Naruto skidded to a halt after he noticed they were no longer moving.

"What's up?" he asked as he added himself to the huddle, "I thought we were in a hurry."

"We are," the appointed leader said, taking out a map, "So we can't just go running in the direction of Foot-hill Town. There are two roads and five common shortcuts through the woods or hills."

"That is true, Sakura," Lee complimented her.

"OK, then how do we track him?" the blond man asked.

"I... I may have a way," Hinata offered nervously. Though she may have grown more comfortable with Naruto and confident in general, the combination of the mission, the team, and their target was unsettling her.

Hinata took out a kunai and carefully sliced her left thumb. After putting the dagger away, she slowly dragged the bleeding digit across all the fingers of her right hand. Her life essence in place, she formed Dog, Boar, Monkey, Rooster, and Sheep.

"Summoning Jutsu," she proclaimed as she placed her hand on the ground. The seal spread out and two squirrels appeared before her. Two three-foot long squirrels. The slightly larger rodent was jet black with bright blue eyes, and the other was snow white with flashing red eyes. Both wore grey sashes with the Konoha Leaf on the back.

"Sol, Luné," when the young woman spoke, the squirrels both looked up at her, "Neji has left the village. We need to find his trail."

Both of the summoned animals nodded, and then scampered off in different directions.

"I am most impressed, Hinata," Lee said, "I was not aware you had made a summoning pact."

"Can they find Neji?" Sakura asked.

'Oh yes," Hinata nodded enthusiastically, "They know Neji's scent, and can recognize his trail."

"Neji does not leave a trail," Lee countered.

"The pervy sage says everyone leaves a trail," Naruto offered, "Just some are too subtle for most ninja to find."

After few minutes of waiting, the two squirrels bounced back into view. The pair ran straight to Hinata.

"We have discovered his route, Mistress," the white rodent said respectfully.

"Yeah, we found the jerk easily enough," Luné added.

"Lead on, then," Sakura instructed. Sol nodded, and her brother just rolled his eyes. Both bushy-tailed rodents took off to the east, and the ninja followed.

The chasers continued well past twilight, but eventually the darkness and the full day of running caught up with them, and Sakura called for them to take a break for the night. After a quick dinner, the group commander put Naruto and Luné on the first of the two watches.

"So, what's your beef with Neji?" Naruto asked the squirrel, once the others were asleep. The summoned animal looked at him cannily.

"He belittled my sister," the black rodent answered, matter-of-factly. Sol's eyes popped open, and she slithered over to them quietly.

"Lord Neji did not insult me," she scolded, "He was merely asking an uninformed question. He did not know it was a source of contention."

"What did he asked?"

Luné's eyes narrowed, but the white squirrel just smiled sadly.

"He asked about my coloring," she explained, "But he did not know that my albinism is seen as a detriment."