Snow Storm

Leo woke up to see half a foot of snow on the ground.

"You won't be going to work today," Khione said.

"What do you mean?" Leo asked, turning around to look at her. "I'm scheduled to work the 9-5 shift."

"It's not safe," Khione said with a frown.

She stood up and crossed the room over to the window. She laid a hand on Leo's cheek. It felt cold and soft like snow. Her hand moved from his face to his neck and she tugged him away from the window.

      "You should keep warm," she said. "Snuggle under the blankets. I know how delicate you are."

      Khione's voice was soft and comforting and Leo felt himself he pulled into its grip. She was acting kind today. Perhaps today would be ok after all. Perhaps she would finally turn her behavior around.

      "Alright, I better call into work, though," Leo said.

      "You go do that," Khione said. "I'll make your favorite breakfast: hot chocolate and chocolate chip waffles with a sliced banana."

      "Thanks, snowflake," Leo said, using his nickname for her.

     Khione left the room and Leo sank into the bed. He huddled underneath the blankets. He was glad that Khione had left her phone for him to use. He hadn't used it for months.

     Leo dialed up Calypso's number because she was the only other person scheduled to work the same shift as him today.

     "Hey, Leo," Calypso said. "What's up?"

      "I called to say I can't come into work today," Leo said.

      "Are you sick?" Calypso asked. "Do you need me to bring you some food or medicine?"

     "Nah, I'm fine," Leo said, "But Khione is worried about me driving in this weather. She thought it would be better if I took the day off."

     "Hmm," Calypso said. "She might be right. I'll miss you, though. Have a good day!"

     "You too," Leo said. "Bye."

      Leo set down Khione's phone on the side table. He shifted and snuggled deeper under the blankets. He enjoyed being warm and comfortable while the weather was so wild outside. He was beginning to nod off when Khione came in with breakfast. Leo perked up and thanked her.

      "Who is Calypso?" Khione asked as she watched Leo begin to eat his waffle.

    Leo swallowed a piece a little too quickly. His  throat felt blocked up and he coughed to relieve the discomfort. When he felt better, he noticed that Khione's eyes were glittering like a cup of hot coffee.

     "My coworker," he said.

     "Ahh," Khione said, her eyes traveling from his eyes to his neck and back. "Nothing more?"

      "No," Leo said with a frown.

      "You're sure?" Khione asked, her voice soft.

       "Yes," Leo said. "Calypso is just a coworker. I called in to take the day off like you told me to."

      "I didn't want you to call her," Khione said.

        "Why not?" Leo asked, setting his breakfast aside on the side table. "She's my coworker."

      "Because I know what her type is like," Khione said. "Women like her are shrews and seductresses. She wants to steal you from me."

    Leo gaped at her.

    "Unless," Khione continued dramatically, "she's done it already."

     "Never, I'm your boyfriend," Leo said.

     "Plenty of men chests on their girlfriends," Khione said. "How do I know you won't do the same? I want you to quit your job."

     "Khione, I can't," Leo said. "I need the money. We need the money."

     "No, I need to be able to trust you," Khione said. "You're going to have to quit the job."

     "I don't think that's a good idea," Leo said.

      "Leo, look at me," Khione ordered. "Do you care about me? Do you love me?"

     Leo met her gaze. Her eyes were unyielding and her eyebrows were scrunched together. She was frowning and she looked like a Greek goddess: beautiful, but frightening. Leo felt like a hapless mortal who had upset such a deity.

      "Yes," Leo said. "I love you."

      "Of course you do," Khione said silkily, laying a hand on his shoulder. "So you'll do what I say?"

     "I will," Leo said.

     "Of course you will," Khione said, clambering into bed beside him. "Anything else would be betrayal."

    When Khione kissed Leo, he felt like he was being buried by an avalanche. He might be safe from the snow inside, but he wasn't safe from the snowstorm right beside him.