V

Cloud cycle* refers to essentially what a year is in this world. The clouds change during the seasons: the rain season, the cold season and fire season (in which the clouds disappear and the sun scorches the land).

Catcarp* are fish similar to catfish but have an eel like appearance towards their tail end.

Pacer* are traditional zombies that are slow but can follow you for miles. They rot in the sun and eventually die if they don't feed enough. Generally survive on stragglers and weak prey animals.

Rusher* refers to zombies that while unstimulated act normal. However, once they catch the scent of potential prey they become wild, fast moving predators. Their endurance usually lasts a mile but their increased speed makes it hard to get away before they get tired.

Rot* is the poisonous effect the remains of zombies can leave on the land. Surrounding areas will see soil dry up and any running water contaminated and undrinkable. Burning their corpses is the most efficient way to prevent any risk.
..............................................................

As they approached the hidden stream, Akash drew a quick breath in awe. The water was almost completely clear. It wasn't contaminated with rot from corpses nor was it being guarded by a group of dangerous humans. When he snapped out of it, he saw that Ghoul had already started setting up.

Ghoul had reached inside a hollowed log to retrieve some small wooden spears, a sac, and a handmade basket.

While she began sharpening her spears Akash got to get a good look at Ghoul. No longer being in the poorly lit cave he could see her features more. She had strong but lean arms and legs. Her right leg was turned inward about 45° but didn't seem to bother her. Her skin looked rough and was purple with brown undertones. Her hair, which he could somewhat see escaping from her headwrap, was thick and looked rope like. This was his first time really seeing a ghoul this close. He was so caught up he had no chance to avoid Ghoul's smack.

"Ow!! What was that for?!"

"Focus!", she hissed at him. Having grown tired of the human's staring she found a good smack was effective. She was still on edge based on how close a zombie horde was to her territory. Their presence puts her water source at risk as well as the integrity of her safety.

"Get in water. Stab fish. The big ones."

She needed the younger ones to remain to provide sustenance later on in the cloud cycle*.

Rolling up his pant legs, Akash waded into the water. Spear in hand, he stood still and looked calmly at the waters. Ghoul looked at him with approval but snapped herself out of it. She didn't like whatever feeling that was.

Strange. Stupid humans make me feel.

.

.

.

The day ended with Ghoul catching 2 large catcarp* and Akash spearing a few decent sized river crabs.

*Snap*

The two look up to see a zombie creeping past. They watch, hoping it doesn't notice them. It sniffs at the air and slowly looks over at them.

"Please be a pacer*, please" Akash whispers to himself.

"Rwurrrrrrggh" Ghoul chuffed at the intruder. Her anger rising at its intrusion on her territory. The zombie straightened itself from its slumped stance and started sprinting towards the duo.

"Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! FUCK!" Akash yells running away with the sack of crabs on his back.

"Of course it had to be a rusher* of course it does, fuck my life", Akash huffs while speeding up as he sees safety in the distance. Unbeknownst to him, Ghoul was still at the stream facing the rusher head on.

It shrieked at her and she continuously dodged its attempt to tackle her. On its fourth lunge, Ghoul grabbed it by the hair and snapped its head clean off. The land became silent.

After burning the now dead zombie, to keep the area safe from rot* Ghoul headed back to safety.

She was greeted outside by the three boys, well two who bombarded her with questions- Akash was deathly pale and still panting out of breath,

Peter: "Are you hurt?"

Toby: "What happened? Akash hasn't even been able to talk yet."

Akash: "Zombie *gasp* ran away *cough* Ghoul *wheeze*..." unable to finish his sentence he just gestures towards ghoul with his arms defeated.

Staring at the male in respiratory distress she states,

"Never run again. Running stop breathing. You run, you die. Walk"

Was all Ghoul said before stepping inside with her fish ready to make dinner.

The boys stayed outside, lost for words. They looked each other in the eye and simultaneously broke out in laughter, which led Akash into another coughing fit . The first good laugh they'd had in a long time. And it was thanks to their crazy Ghoul.

..............................................................

As promised here's the new chappie. Remember to vote!
Will update once total amount of reads are at 100 or votes are 40. So share with others and spread the word😄 Also, the cover is loosely what a female ghoul could look like, not necessarily our protagonist (just in case anyone is wondering why her description is diff from the cover)
Until next time✌️

 So share with others and spread the word😄 Also, the cover is loosely what a female ghoul could look like, not necessarily our protagonist (just in case anyone is wondering why her description is diff from the cover)Until next time✌️