■ S I X T E E N ■

■ SIXTEEN ■

"So how much trouble are you in?" I asked as Chase leaned over the fence.

"My mother only just stopped yelling at us, I managed to get off less because I told her I was defending your honour," Chase replied before giving me a sly smile.

"Defending my honour? I didn't know it was the eighth century!" I exclaimed before laughing.

"Well she believed it, so I'm rolling with it," he replied before laughing.

We both laughed for a moment before he quietned. "I gotta say, the crime was worth the punishment" Chase said quickly, as he straightened.

"Yeah, but you won't be able to see blue sky for the next three hundred years," I replied, as I shifted on my feet.

Chase turned his head to look at the trees branches that hung over his fence. "Like I said, the crime was worth it," he replied before looking at me.

"Well I never thanked you for defending my honour as you call it, so thanks, I'm sorry it came to a fist fight," I said, meaning it.

His blue eyes studied me. "I'm sorry I didn't punch him sooner," he replied before his mouth slowly cracked into a smile.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Your impossible," I said before chuckling.

"That's why you love me, Christie" he said before pushing off the fence.

The flimsy wood wobbled under my weight. "Oh I love you now? Damn, Chase, you're moving quick!" I exclaimed.

It was his turn to roll his eyes.

"Whatever,"

"Whatever," I mocked back.

He glared at me before turning back to his house. "I should go," he said quickly.

I nodded, stepping away from the fence. "Okay, well I'll see you at school" I said, as I brushed my hands against my jeans.

"I said I should, not that I'm going to," Chase replied as a wicked look crossed his face.

Tilting my head, confused, I watched him. "What are you doing?" I asked, as he moved towards the fence.

"I'm already in trouble, how much worse could it get," he replied.

"Seeing how I don't know what the hell you're talking about, I'm going to say.. huge trouble" I said, crossing my arms.

"Did you know that there's a creek that runs down the back of our houses?" Chase asked, gesturing in that direction.

"Of course, but you can't get to it, it's all swamp before it" I replied.

"Can't you?" He asked, grinning.

"What? You found a way through it?" I asked, as I glanced towards the trees.

"More like, James and I got bored one afternoon and we built a way through it," he replied, shrugging his shoulders.

I opened my mouth. "Come, climb the fence" he said, gesturing to the fence that seperated us.

"Chase, my friend, I weigh more than the titanic, my ass isn't going to be climbing this fence," I replied, putting my hands on my hips.

"You're so dramatic Christie, and you don't even look heavy, here I'll catch you if you fall,"he replied, holding his hands out.

"Would you like to be a pancake?"

Chase sighed. "Fine, be a chicken shit," he replied, taking his hands back.