Chapter Thirty Six

The bus was tense, everyone's eager eyes glued to Alex's blank face. He quickly glanced at me before licking his lips and turning to face Isobel,

"Where'd you hear that?" He asked, his face a mask of confusion.

Jack sunk down lower in his seat, staring at the floor. I dug my elbow into his ribs, making him flinch away from me. He mouthed "ow" and rubbed his side, with his lower lip sticking out. 

"Did you tell Isobel?" I  whispered close to his ear. 

He frowned and shook his head slowly, "I don't know who did!"  

Alex had jumped off the counter and placed the half finished bottle on the counter. Rian snatched the glass bottle as Alex turned away and drank it. 

"Your father." Isobel said bluntly, her words ringing loud and clear in the quiet bus. 

Alex's eyes widened, "B-but how did Dad know?"

"It doesn't matter Alex! What matters is that you didn't even call us to tell us! Who is she? Her?" Isobel asked, pointing a thin manicured finger directly at me.

Alex reached to his mothers hand and pointed it away from me.

"No mom, that's Jack's girlfriend remember? I'd never-"

"Then who?"

"Um, I-"

"Alexander."

"It was a one night stand okay?" 

I scooted over closer to Jack, burying my head in his chest, not wanting to see the drama ready to unfold on the bus. He rested his chin on my head and we listened.  The bus was awkward, not like the other days. Isobel was standing where we once tried to hula hoop in the narrow kitchen. Joyce was sitting on the couch that Jack had fallen off last week when he was dancing on the leather surface. The memories seemed so distant and long ago when the space was occupied by Joyce and Isobel. A soothing voice shook me out of my reverie.

"Oh 'Lex. Do you know who she is though?" 

"Yeah, I just-" 

"Sshhh, look can I talk to you? Alone?" Isobel asked, looking around the bus, raising her eybrows at us. 

We all exchanged glances before nodding and quickly filing out of the bus, not a word uttered between all 7 of us. The three crew members waved a goodbye before walking off to a seperate bus, leaving Rian, Zack, Jack and I whilst Joyce, Isobel and Alex talked inside.

"So when can we go back?" Rian asked, his hands stuffed down his pockets. 

"How long do you think they'll take?" I asked, leaning against the bus, crossing my arms.

"Dunno, well, at least we're not playing today." Jack replied, wiping at his forehead with the back of his hand. 

"Did you see Isobels face you guys?" Zack interjected, "I've never seen her like that before. It was weird." 

The guys all nodded in unision, laughing as Rian imitated Isobel. I slapped his arm and he pretended to be hurt.

"I'm hungry, any one wanna come eat?" Zack asked, pointing to a gate in the distance. No discussion was needed and we all set off for the local restaurant. 

The sky was like a canvas, bright colours streaked in the sky high above the small town. Night was apporaching as we strolled through the town centre, searching for any restaurant we could eat in. Eventually, Zack's hunger became irritable, and he walked into the first restaurant he could find. 

Stepping through the already open door, I squinted my eyes at the bright light. Decorated square wooden tables took up the middle of the room, all five booths empty A chirpy, young, blonde waitress stepped in our way and began to speak to Zack. She guided us to a booth and we slipped in and stared at the menu that was handed to us.

"Ew." I said in disgust, staring at the laminated menu I held in my hands.

"What are you on about?! I want everything." Jack exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah, you do that sweetie." I said, sitting up on my legs. The guys had already decided their orders and I let Jack order me something as I talked to Rian. 

Jack's phone vibrated on the table and knocked over the jug of water that sat on the table. The water splashed out and trickled along the dark wood table. The waitress' smile had disappeared now and it had changed to a frown as she trudged away to get paper towels. Jack couldn't answer the phone in enough time and it rang out. The number sent a text asking for him to call back ASAP.

"Who is it?" Jack asked showing me the number. My eyes glanced over the number and I instantly recognized it. Claire.  

"Give it to me!" I said, grabbing at the phone and walking towards the door. The waitress sighed in frustration as we all ran out of the resturant. 

"Sorry!" Rian called back to her as I pressed the Return Call button.