Some facts

We like to think that nowadays most people know about climate change and understand the basic facts, but we feel like we better just put some basic information here for you to read if you are unsure about global warming.

What is it?
Dictionary definition: a change in global or regional climate patterns, in particular a change apparent from the mid to late 20th century onwards and attributed largely to the increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide produced by the use of fossil fuels.

But we see it more like this: it's the rising temperatures of the world caused by us humans (mostly) burning fossil fuels and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. It threatens every one of us, and is causing habitats to change, which leads to animals finding it harder to survive and sometimes extinction. The longer we leave it, the worse it will get, and as sea levels rise and weather becomes more extreme, it puts all of our lives at more of a risk.

Why should you care?
Well, hopefully, it's obvious! But here are some facts anyway.
- 800 million people are currently vulnerable to effects of climate change (and this is likely to go up too).
- An area of coastal ecosystems larger than New York are destroyed every year
- less freshwater will be available since the glaciers are melting, and more severe droughts will become much more common.
- natural disasters will become more common and more severe causing risk to life.
- some diseases will spread, such as mosquito-borne malaria.
- some countries, such as Indonesia, are sinking due to rising sea levels.
- many animals are becoming extinct, or are heading that way

...... and the list could go on.

So now you've got a brief overview of climate change... still wanna join? Read the next chapter for more info.

🌎💚