His captain watched as he hurriedly, yet precisely finished his assignments for the day and let the distraught man head home early for the day.

He sighed at his boss's request knowing that if he noticed his change in demeanor that meant that the rest of the office had noticed it as well. He kept his head ducked so far down that his chin met his chest as he avoided any of the pitiful gazes from his coworkers.

On his way out the door he felt a buzz in his pocket, he pulled his phone out expecting to see Julian or Josh's caller id, but to his surprise it was Kaycee's.

He rushed out the door and into his car making sure any noise from the office and bustling traffic didn't get in the way of the call he had been hoping for all day.

"Kaycee? Hi, I'm so glad you called! You had me so worried yesterday, did you want to tal—"

He was cut off but a sigh coming from the other end of the call, "Sean, it's Kylie. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up but you didn't seem to be answering anyone else's calls; I had to take my last resort."

The man furrowed his eyebrows in confusion though Kylie wasn't able to see his face through their phone call. Not even bothering to reply back to the girl still waiting on the call, he went to his notifications and noticed that there were indeed plentiful missed calls and unseen text messages.

He's not sure how he missed everyone else's calls and texts but just so happened to pick up the call when it was coming from Kaycee's phone.

"Oh," he said trying to conceal any signs of disappointment in his voice, "so what's up?"

"Look, I know how worried and hurt you must be after everything that happened yesterday but let me just breakdown everything and maybe this will explain why Kaycee was acting the way she was toward you."

The girl noted his silence as her cue to keep the conversation going.

"Her doctors are saying that she had a nightmare of the accident again, but this time it was much worse. They're not quite sure why her nightmare had gotten so extreme but after all the questions monitored by both us and her doctors, it seems like her brain had suffered such a traumatic experience that it's trying to force all the bits and pieces she remembered into one coherent and complete memory. Sean..... she said you were the shooter."

"Wait, what?!"

"Look I know that sounds crazy and trust me we all know that isn't true. Obviously you weren't the shooter and we're all aware of that, but she said the dream was so realistic that she's convinced it was you."

Sean was doing his best in understanding why and how he had managed to take one step forward but two steps back in his fight to win Kaycee over. While trying to wrap his head around the fact that the girl not only forgot about him, but now also feared him he could hear the shuffling sounds coming from the other side of the phone.

Expecting to hear the feminine voice that belonged to his soulmate's sister, he was taken aback by the much deep tone of her father instead.

"Hey Lew, I know this is a lot to take on but let me explain from the beginning. When Kaycee and Kylie came back to the house yesterday,they were actually coming back from one of Kaycee's therapy appointments. We all kind of noticed something off about her yesterday morning but we though maybe she was just in one of her little moods, it wasn't until they got to Kaycee's appointment when one of her doctor's met Kylie on the waiting room and told her everything. Basically they told Kylie that Kaycee seems to have been having some of her worst nightmares yet since the accident, but I guess the one from the other night just so happened to be the worst of the worse They said they it's common for trauma patients to have constant nightmares and to wake up in fear and that in cases where they lose their memory, their brain will sometimes try to connect all the dots and insert characters that weren't actually present."

Brad cleared his throat trying to regain his strength, it was hard talking about his injured daughter's wellbeing but as difficult as it all was for his family to endure, he knew no one had it harder than Sean.

"Since she doesn't remember a lot of people right now, you know besides her close friends and family, her brain used any and all of the information she was actually able to recall to try and complete her nightmare, in this case she used you."

He sighed out in frustration, "We're guessing her brain was so focused on you due to the frequent hang outs and long nights, and while we were never against it, we think it's best that you guys put a pause on it, at least until she can accept you again and understand that you aren't dangerous."

The young man was choked up hearing about his ex's situation. He really thought he was getting there, reaching his goal of winning the woman of his dreams over her again and to keep her in his arms for as long as he lived.

But just as soon as things were looking up, it all came crashing down.

"I'm sorry, Sean. I know this is all already hard as it is; I can't even begin to imagine how you feel, but I need you to understand that loving my daughter is a process. She's not the same old Kaycee we all once knew. If you really want to help her out, all we ask is that you be patient and hopeful."

"I will."

——
oops things are still going wrong for sean 🙃 i promise!! that things are going to get better at the end BUT for now you're all just going to have to be patient with me. i know updates are super slow but they're still
coming! hope you all enjoyed <3