"It's a mission, but not a public one" I hear him state. I nod, expecting this from him. Once the coffee has finished filling my cup, I switch off the machine and face him, mug in hand.

"None of mine ever were public" I remind the man, taking a long sip of my soothing drink to hide my riding giddiness. Nick nods, crossing his arms over his chest.

"This one requires extra care" the ex-director informs. I nod, taking one more drink before placing the mug down.

It's been six years since Nick Fury gave me my first mission. It was merely three months after he'd found me, I was only twenty years old. Everything I'd been assigned to do was low profile, keeping me from the eye of the public.

When S.H.I.E.L.D. discovered me trembling and abandoned in a raided Hydra facility six years ago, Nick decided to keep my identity a secret for my own protection. He kept no records of the mutations I possessed in the database, but rather kept my phone number on a slip of paper for when he needed it. I was beyond grateful for the secrecy measures he had taken with me when S.H.I.E.L.D.'s entire database was released to the public a year or so ago.

I don't know what I would've done if what was left of Hydra could've seen those records, could've known I was still alive.

"Whatever it is I'm in" I assure, nodding at the man before me.

I brush a stray lock of blonde hair from my face, letting it fall into the mid-length waves that rest down my back. I've missed going on missions more than he could ever know, more than I ever thought I would. Nick smirks, his singular yet perceptive eye noticing my rising excitement.

"Alright then. Dawn, meet James Buchanan Barnes" Fury responds. He steps up to the counter that separates us and pulls a pale yellow folder from the inside of his jacket, slapping it down on the desk. I can't help the amused smile that breaks on my face.

"You have one if these for everything, don't you?" I joke, my green eyes glistening with humor. He glares at me, not finding this funny.

"Can you focus please, Beckett?"

"Sorry"

I step up to the folder, my coffee now long forgotten as I flip it open. The air of seriousness has returned as I examine the first page within. A picture of a man in an outdated army uniform is clipped to the thin paper.

I furrow my brows, finding the name and picture extremely familiar.

"Is this the Winter Soldier? The same one that was involved in the whole Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. issue?" I ask, glancing up at Fury. He grunts, bringing a hand up to rub his shoulder in remembrance.

"That's him. After D.C., he fled." Nick explains. I look back down at his file, flipping through the pages available. The only things I really see are periodic updates on his estimated location and past assassinations they've pinned to him.

"So what, you want me to hunt him down? Nick, you know how I feel about killing" I begin to object, not caring who this target is or what he's done. When I lost Dean I made myself a promise that I wouldn't kill anyone. I won't let myself break that.

"No Dawn, I want you to observe him, protect him" Nick interjects. This catches me by surprise. My eyebrows raise, and I lift my gaze back to the man before me.