ii. brother spat

"anger doesn't solve anything.
it builds nothing,
but can destroy everything."
___________

Deep within the sewers, the lair is still and quiet. In the dojo, the air is thick with the aroma of sweat from a long afternoon of training. Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo stand in the middle of the floor, facing each other with their weapons ready. Splinter watches from the side, his russet eyes gleaming as he observes his sons. When he gives the order, they'll be plunged into a free-for-all, a ruthless competition with only one rule: the last turtle standing reigns victorious.

"Hajime!" he barks at last.

For a moment, the four turtles stand motionless, waiting for the first move to be made.

"What is this, a Twilight movie?" Raphael breaks the silence. "Someone quit staring and make a move."

Michelangelo is the first to spring into action. "Watch out, ninjas!" he whoops. "You're about to be hit by a smooth criminal! Hee hee!"

He pounces toward the turtle closest to him, who happens to be Donatello. His nunchucks spin expertly, each movement swift and sure, but Donatello is quicker. He spins his bo-staff rapidly before slamming it into his brother's chest, causing him to stumble back with a grunt. "Not so big and bad now, are ya?" he taunts.

Leonardo stifles a laugh. Raphael rolls his eyes. After facing off against the likes of the Shredder, the Kraang, and a rogue's gallery of other enemies determined to kill them, one would think his brothers would mess around less during training. Heck, it wasn't that long ago since Spike—no, Slash now—had beaten them all within an inch of their lives. Is it so wrong of him to want them to act right during training so they don't end up dead later? He wouldn't think so, but apparently his brothers do. They'd much rather pull punches and treat their training sessions like games, then act like he's the crazy one when he calls it out.

"Enough screwing around, you three," he growls. "When are you gonna start taking this seriously?"

"Lighten up, Raph." Leonardo's expression is nothing short of exasperated. "We're here to train, not kill each other."

His point exactly. Why is it they never consider anything he has to say?

"Why do I even try?" he huffs. "You guys just don't get it."

Donatello sighs and drags a hand over his face. "Do we have to go through this whole no one understands me routine again? Don't you ever get tired?"

"I am tired! Of you three lacking some sense!" He draws his sai, the blades glinting in the light of the room. "If you can't find it, I'll knock some into you."

With that, Raphael launches himself forward like an arrow, charging his brother with his sais ready. Donatello attempts to shield himself with his staff, but one swipe from the red-clad fighter snaps the weapon clean in two. The genius turtle shrieks as his older brother lands a solid hit to the side of his face, sending him crashing to the carpet.

"And stay down," he hisses.

"Whoa, dude, calm down!" exclaims Michelangelo. "Donnie was only busting your shell!"

"Yeah? Well, I'm about to bust your shell next."

He lunges for his youngest brother and knocks him to the floor with a thud. Michelangelo squeaks as Raphael snarls and raises his fist, but Leonardo barrels into him, knocking him off and sending them both rolling away.

"What are you doing? I had him!" Raphael snaps as they wrestle on the dojo floor.

"Every turtle for himself, right?" the eldest turtle growls. His sapphire eyes burn into Raphael's electric green ones, every bit as fierce. "Besides, you've been way too hostile lately. You need to pull yourself together."