26 | Blacks in Black

Chapter 26 | Blacks in Black

• • •

        Vino rocks back on his heels and hums. "Clearly I walked in on somethin and I'm not really sure what to do in awkward silences so I think I'm just gone bounce, unless..."

        He turns to me once more, eyebrows lifted, keys dangling from his index finger.

        I scratch at my forehead and drop my hand to my side. "Sorry, just um – just give us like five minutes. We're coming out."

        "No problem." He nods and moves to step around the three of us. "Uh, it was nice to – "

        Xo raises her arm and blocks him from going past. "Hol' up a second, Cheeves." She leans over to me and lowers her tone. "I thought we was thinking 'bout staying for dinner. A bitch is mad hungry."

        "We were. I thought about it and I'm good on that. You can just eat McDonald's or something."

        Her lips tighten and her voice drops another notch. "McDonald's, hoe? I can't go from ribs to no goddamn McNuggets. Come on, I'm here witchu. You know I got ya back. I'm not gone let no wild shit go down."

        Chest of his shirt still clenched in Xo's fist, Vino fiddles with his keys, eyes jumping unevenly across the room. Feeling my gaze on him, he looks over at me and raises his eyebrows.

        Xo bumps me with her shoulder and I roll my eyes. "Fine. Whatever. You can go, Honovi. Thanks for the ride."

        He hesitates for a moment, cutting his eyes over at Xo before looking back to me. Worry is written across his face from his scrunched forehead down to his pressed lips.

        "Keila," he emphasizes my name, "are you sure you want to stay?"

        "Yeah, no worries. I'll be fine, promise."

        I power through my nerves and offer a smile to ease his doubts. His shoulders droop and he pockets his keys taking a step toward me.

        "Well, can I hug you goodbye then?" His arms are outstretched, but he doesn't come any closer.

        Still only a foot away from me, I hear Xo whisper, "Aw, sookie sookie, now," and I'm reminded of our audience.

        I look over at Sheila who stands wordlessly with her hands behind her back, lips twitching against a smile. I don't have to see Xo to know she's probably grinning like a creep. Embarrassment settles in and I almost say no until I take in how vulnerable he looks standing there with his arms out waiting for an answer. I cave. 

        "Sure, go for it."

        Expecting a more enthusiastic answer, he falters for a fraction of a second before kissing his teeth and pulling me into him. I clench my jaw and remain still, arms dangling by my sides like a ventriloquist doll.

        He grumbles beneath his breath, positions my arms around his waist and proceeds to wrap his around my shoulders; all I feel and all I smell is him. My nose in his collar. His neck against my cheek. My hands pressing into his back. His mouth brushing against my temple.

        I hope like hell he can't feel how hard my punk-ass heart is beating because if I clench my teeth any harder they'll crumble into a powder so fine you could snort it.

        He dips his head. Lips grazing the top of my ear, a liquid chill writhes down my spine at the contact as he whispers, "Grab my ass if you need me to bust you outta here."