Chapter 23

"Marriage?" Mary sounded appalled at the mere thought of walking the isle once more. It was a bright morning in mid June, Edinburgh prospering with a healthy harvest keeping the working man's belly full. Recently returned to her homeland after a lengthy stay in France, placating nobles after her forced, inter-faith marriage not that long ago, Mary sat upon her throne. Bothwell had died ten months ago, little Princesses Annika and Annaliece born that following November. Now eight months old and happy and healthy, they played outside with Greer and Kenna and their brothers, their mother contently dealing with the remains of Scottish politics that James couldn't decipher on his own.

But what Mary hadn't expected to hear is her elder half brother asking her to wed once more.

"I will not!" she was disgusted at the mere idea of becoming another's wife. It would never happen again, as far as she was concerned. Dear little dead Bothwell whom rested at the bottom of the sea turned her appetite to marriage, and Mary was rather content to rule alone.

There was only one man who'm she wished to rule beside. And he was gone.

"Sister, please listen." James pleaded. Mary looked down at him, her eyes narrowed into small slits.

"What? What could possibly tempt me into donning white once more? I cannot do it, James."

"Mary, please. Listen to the nobles' reasoning. As much as the court and the countries have accepted the two Princesses, they are still unsettled with the Protestant-Catholic marriage. The Protestants are subdued, content with the fact that their blood runs within a royal's veins, but the Catholics are not. They want you to find a true, faithful husband." James mocked a Romanian accent, mimicking the Pope. "Even some Protestants are uncomfortable with the fact that you will not procreate again-"

"Why? What could bother them so much? That I won't put my life in danger and possibly die in childbirth and give you the chance to rule again, a Protestant man?" Mary asked, her voice full to the brim with anger.

"It is nothing like that. Some question the legitimacy of the girls." Mary frowned. "You were forced to get pregnant before you wed, and there are not enough male heirs to secure the succession. The Princes James and Edward are still young and anything could happen to them."

"Don't talk like that." Mary couldn't bear the thought of burying another child.

"It is true, Mary. The simple fact is that although you have four children-"

"Five." Mary interrupted. John Phillip Valois-Anguleme was her son.

"Technically, but John is like me. I love him as I do James and Edward, but he is bastard born. Ineligible to wed. he is not like the boys or the girls. You need more children, Mary. More heirs. Take another husband."

"And answer to the man?"

"Not at all. You don't even have to be in the same country as him after you fall pregnant, you have no issue doing that. You were simply too young to do it in your first marriage, only kept the babe towards the end. God forbid, James will live a long and happy life, but he is still a boy. The sheer fact that you rule France with Catherine as regent proves it."

Mary looked down. He was right.

"You don't have to love the man as you did Francis." Mary looked up. "I know that is impossible." Suddenly, the design on her blue gown was very interesting. "Nobody expects you to love the man, but you must find procreation with him." the Earl said. "Who knows, maybe this man will be a father to your children. They need male influence higher than myself or our brothers."

Mary sighed, looking back up. "Fine." she answered, feeling that twist of uncertainty in her gut. Henry had nearly cost her her throne. James had damn near cost her her head. What would this man take from her? "I have my hands full with the empire and France. I won't take a King as my husband and lord. Nor a Crown Prince. Find me a Prince far from the throne, of legitimate royal blood. Catholic with tolerance sewn into him."

"There's-"

"You've already chosen the man-" Mary looked away, appalled and deflated, damn sure disappointed to say the least.

"No. I've chosen three potential bachelors." James revealed. "All Princes of royal blood."

"Very well." Mary sighed, leaning back into her throne. "Find me a blonde haired, blue eyed Prince who treats me right, who expects no love, just heirs."

"I have just the man." James said, his voice not exactly happy about it, either. Mary furrowed her eyebrows.

"Who?"

"Prince Stefan of Germany. He has already sent out interest in marriage. Far from the throne, he has two older brothers. But he is charming and attractive, tolerant and Catholic. He is perfect."

Mary sighed.

"Very well. Send word to this German Prince. Tell him I will accept his marriage proposal. For my reign, nothing else."

~~

Heyy!

Sorry it's been a hot minute since I updated, I've just done a massive update for TB and thought that this story shouldn't be neglected, either. This new marriage goes against my historian OCD and is completley fictional. But I have a end game for this new marriage, it is just one line that may come in the next chapter or the next, but I think I can sacrifice a little historical accuracy for some fluff.

Next chapter shouldn't be too much longer!

Love you all!

C

:)