Chapter 14

The birth was horrid. As was James' birth, but this one was far worse. It had gone on for hours upon hours upon hours and still nothing. All Mary could do was lie there in agony, screaming and crying out as she held the hands of two of the three people she completely trusted with her life. Kenna and Greer hadn't left her side from the moment they had been told of the incoming child.

"Ahh! Ahh! Ahh!" Mary screamed out, breathing hard and heavily. She'd been in labour for what seemed like days and still nothing.

"It's okay, Mary. You're okay." Kenna soothed. "Everything will be okay." she shushed, kissing their intertwined hands and stroking her dishevelled hair out of her face.

"Lady Greer," the midwife said, turning her closest friends' attention away from her struggling Queen and to the exhausted midwife.

"What's happening?" Mary asked, head lolling on the pillow.

You can do this, my love.

"You're loosing too much blood." Mary heard. Looking forwards, she drew in a few more breaths, before looking back at the midwife. She saw Greer and the doctor, saw their concern and their fear.

"What happens to me doesn't matter. If it comes down to a choice, between me and the baby, you choose the baby." Mary demanded, breathing hard, her birthing gown sticking to her from the sweat, hair all over the pillows that propped her up. Everything would be okay. Catherine would rule France with Narciesse, James would co-rule with Ottox, her son would grow up with his brothers, raised in the image of their mother, she wasn't so necessary anymore. Only the baby was. The little person with the third best claim to England in the world.

"Mary don't talk like that," Greer pleaded.

"Do you understand?" she demanded again, the Queen coming out and replacing the woman for a second.

"Yes, your majesty," she nodded, turning around as Mary screamed out once again.

"Can't you do something for her?!" Kenna asked. "Anything?! Look at her!" she cried. More and more hours had passed and still no baby. They knew something was wrong and had a hard time keeping composure, all three crying and sweating.

"The Queen's condition is deteriorating. I fear to loose them both if I don't operate."

Everything will be alright. You're going to be okay. Your child will be okay.

"No. If you touch her with those, she will die." Greer glared, sweat sticking to her forehead as she was dragged from Mary's side and over to the midwives'.

"Lady Greer, she's not going to survive. The question now is whether we save the baby and relieve Mary of her agony."

You're not going to die. You've still got so much to live for. Fight, Mary.

"Greer, where are you?" Mary sobbed, her eyes not staying open. "Greer?" she reached out.

"Greer!" Kenna cried, bringing their friend to their queen's side.

"I'm here, I'm right here." Greer kissed their intertwined hands.

"Something's wrong. I can feel it, my baby. He-he's dying," Mary sobbed, her eyes closing out of exhaustion.

"Help her! Now!"

"Mary, I promise you, your baby is going to live." Greer said, determined to help her in every way possible. There were tears spilling from Greer and Kenna's eyes, their dear friend closer to death than ever before.

"You have to save him. No matter what it takes, save my baby!"

Kenna saw the midwife turn towards some sharp objects and reach for the largest blade.

"Stay back!" she yelled. "If you come anywhere near her with those, I will kill you myself." she glared.

"She's dying, Lady Greer, Lady Kenna! The Queen wants me to save her child."

"Greer, Kenna," Mary's voice sounded distant and weaker and quieter than ever. They cried, giving her their attention. "I love you." she sobbed.

"I love you, too."

"More than anything," Kenna sobbed.

Suddenly Mary stilled. Her body relaxed and her eyes rolled back in her head. She exhaled, slipping away.

No. Fight, Mary. It's not time yet. We'll be together one day, I promise. But that day is not today. You still have so much to live for. Your child to raise and your countries to rule, our country to rule. Live. Live for as long as you possibly can, Mary. Go back and live. Francis told her, somehow becoming closer to her than ever. It seemed like he was in her head.

"Mary, come back!" Kenna sobbed. "Mary!"

Her eyes shot open and she gasped for air, suddenly remembering when Francis came back to her all those years ago.

"Oh, thank god!"

The pain came back and she cried out again, grimacing.

"That's it, your majesty. Just one more!"

Mary screamed out one more time, before collapsing on the bed and listening to the sound of a screaming baby.

"Queen Mary, you have a son."