Chapter 17

A few days later, Greer came into Mary's study where she was writing on a piece of parchment, the baby laying in a crib near her.

"Mary?" she looked up to her blonde friend, smiling softly.

"My friend, come in." she smiled softly.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Writing a letter to Catherine, informing her of the Prince's safe return and inviting her and the Valois to the christening that will occur in a few days."

"Have you decided on the Godparents?"

"Yes. Prince Charles and Greer."

"Prince Charles? Of France?"

"Of course. He seems to have finished his odd behaviour and helps Catherine with the regency, and has apparently stepped up when I was out of commission with the birth and the kidnapping. It seemed fitting, and will satisfy the French, as I'm not there much anymore."

"When are you planning on sailing out? You are the Regent with the most power, after all."

"After my English coronation and after spending around eight weeks there, learning who and I can and can't trust, and the christening. I'd like to have Darnley found by then, too. For stability reasons."

"I understand, what's the latest news of the Lady Lennox?"

"She's been found a few miles away from the old Lennox estate, and is on her way to the tower as we speak. I have evidence, because you were there, for her execution, as what she had proposed was treason. She may be tortured, as she probably knows where Darnley is, just to get the location of the King, before his own execution."

"You never liked sending people to their executions."

"Well, this is different. The house of Lennox is a threat to my reign. Threats must be neutralised." she finished writing her letter and dripped the wax on it, before pressing her seal stamp into it, calling for her page and letting him take it to the docks, before the Queen turned to Greer.

"Now, to plan the Christening Party." she smiled.

"My dear!" Catherine beamed, extending her arms towards the fellow regent of France. Mary laughed and hugged her back with one arm, the other holding Edward. "How beautiful you look, and how handsome this little man is," Catherine beamed, looking down at Edward and seeing his dark eyes and dark hair.

"May I introduce my son, the Prince Edward," Mary smiled.

"How darling," Catherine clapped her hands together, before kneeling to the floor. "My grandsons!" Catherine beamed. If there was one thing that could make Catherine melt and be happy, it was seeing her own young family. "John," she hugged her bastard grandson tightly, making him giggle a little. Whilst she despised Sebastian more than words could say, she adored John, simply due to the fact that he held Francis' blood. He was the only child Francis really knew, anyway. She turned to her legitimate grandson and King, who was standing proudly in his blue and white ensemble, looking every inch his father. "James! Oh, my little King!" Catherine grabbed him and picked him up, kissing his cheeks and running her fingers through his blonde curls. James squealed.

"Mother, do stop smothering the child," Charles came forward and grinned at his mother, before bowing to his Queen Regent. "Mary, an honour. It's been a while." he smiled, standing up.

"Indeed it has," Mary smiled back. "I hope you've heard of my offer," she said.

"I have, and I accept with pleasure," he smiled. "May I?" he gestured to the baby.

"Of course." she passed the baby over. "Edward, your godfather." she smiled softly, running her fingers through John's darkening blonde hair.

"An honour, I'm sure." Catherine placed her King and grandson on the floor.

"Of course." he grinned.

"Shall we?" Mary asked, starting to walk over towards her study.

"I saw you at your wedding, where's your husband?" Catherine asked as they sat down.

"I'm sure you've heard of Darnley's activity. He's missing currently, but Bothwell's searching for the King and is going to bring him to the tower once he's been found."

"Execution?"

"He and his mother committed treason, and since I'm their lawful Queen, they pay with their lives." Mary nodded once. 

Catherine spoke. "Now, enough of that, we must talk of the christening."