Chapter 11

Guards took the body away the next morning, leaving the pregnant Queen limp on the floor she hadn't slept a wink that night, just stared at the body and the blood and allowed the need for blood, vengeance and revenge take over, until her stomach started to cramp.

Mary cried out in pain at the sudden wave of pain, placing her left hand on her stomach and the right to help her up onto the bed. She whimpered softly, taking seething breaths in and out, watching as the door opened.

"Majesty, are you well?" one of the king's guard asked her.

"Get the king." Mary demanded. "Now!" she screamed. She never referred to him as her husband or the father of her second child. He wasn't any of those things. All he was now was a threat to her and her children. Something she could not allow.

Soon, King Darnley came into the room. He sat at her side, taking her hand. Mary cringed. It felt like lava in her hand, but she maintained her pretence.

"Are you all right?" Darnley asked.  "Is the baby? I'll summon for a physician right away." he lurched to get up. Mary lunged forwards, gripping his shoulder.

"No, the baby is fine.I needed to talk to you in private." she said, her voice quick. "Knox is using you."

"Mary, it's over. The coup was a success! You have to accept your fate." he said. Mary felt hatred burning in her gut. How could she have married him? Was she really that foolish. She blinked away those thougths. None of that mattered now. He brought her a strong claim to England, and that was reason enough to maintain this pretence for a few more months.

"And what about your fate?" Mary started to truthfully manipulate herself. "Who is in power now, hmm? - You or the privy council?" she started.

"It's only temporary. It all happened so fast, they said it would take time, but-" he stumbled over his words. Her manipulation was obviously starting to fester inside him.

"What did Knox promise you? That while I rotted in jail for an affair that never happened, that they would make you king? You, an Englishman, a Catholic?" she mentioned. The Scots would never accept an Englishman was regnant -that was the one ilver lining about Elizabeth Tudor. She would never tile here, her people wouldn't allow it. And the Protestants -most of whom Mary had formed at least weak bonds with- would never accept Darnley as they did her. At least she was Scottish, no matter of her French childhood.

"I'll convert, and then I'll take the English throne, too." Mary scoffed. Was the man really that foolish?

"Don't be a fool." the Queen snapped. This wasn't just about Scotland or even England. This was about France, too. She ruled in her son's name. If she was disposed here, what would that mean for her son's country? Francis' country? Sure, Catherine, Stephane and Charles took care of the smaller issues, but it wasn't the same as if she lost all her power in all the countries. "We are married because I couldn't take England without you.What makes you think that you can take England without me? Knox may despise me, but he hates the idea of a monarchy even more.You will never be safe." she rushed. It was in times like this she missed Francis the most. Not her husband, her King. He would never have caught himself up in foolishness like this. Not to mention, bar a few times, he wasn't as easily manipulated as Darnley was.

"Well, I-I-" Darnley stuttered. Mary could have sang. It was working! Manipulation with the truth was actually working!

"They killed Rizzio." Mary choked. That still hurt. She knew it always woukd. "They will turn on you, as easily as they turned on me, as easily as they turned to murder." she hissed. Why did they do that? How could they do that? To sweet, loyal David?

"I never intended for Rizzio to die." Darnley protested. Mary inwardly scoffed once again. She didn't trust that. "All I wanted was to catch you with Bothwell." he tried. Mary gripped him tighter.