pouring rain | byler stoziers

will thought mike was smart. he was wrong. mike was a fucking idiot. mike ignored the way max and el looked at each other. mike was convinced el loved him. mike ignored the way will looked at him. mike was convinced will wasn’t into him.

mike was an asshole. he said all the wrong things. he pushed the wrong people away. he thought the wrong things. but will was already in too deep. when you fall in love you can’t tell the difference between right and wrong. you can’t see the devil if you’re in love with him. you see the angel he started off as. mike was the devil.

will followed mike around like a lost puppy. he was right by his side, supporting everything he did. and mike still pushed him to the curb. he pushed him away to sit in the rain. one day that was a little too literal.

mike was spewing poison from the lips will daydreamed about pressing his own against. will was trying to keep his tears off his skin, tongue pressed tightly against the roof of his mouth.

“why the fuck would you ever say that?” the taller hissed, anger filled in his eyes. “do you know how much of an asshole you are?”

just a couple minutes ago, will was honest with mike. mike asked him how he should ask el out, will told him not to bother. el wasn’t in love with mike.

“i was being honest with you, mike! you’re being delusional! someone had to open your eyes.” will defended himself.

rain slapped against the pavement of mike’s driveway, their only protection from the storm being mike’s garage. the light from outside of the open door shined against the side of mike’s face. will wished he could admire how pretty mike looked.

“oh i’m delusional? you’re the one that still thinks we’re interested in your stupid kid games!”

“lucas i—“

“no he’s not! lucas doesn’t care about your stupid game he just feels bad!”

will felt a cold tear slip down his cheek.

“and now you’re crying? you need to fucking grow up, will. you know that? we’re not gonna sit around and play dress up and play board games. we’re not gonna stay single our whole lives so we can spend it with you.” mike didn’t know if he meant half the stuff he was saying. but it came out anyway.

“well maybe you should wake up from whatever day dream you’re living in, cause els not into you! she’s into max. you know she is.”

mike was taken aback.

“what?! no she’s not! els not like that. you know she’s not!” mike spat

will could hear the disgust dripping from ‘that’. and somehow that hurt a little more than anything else he’s said.

“she is, mike. you just can’t see it. there’s a lot of things about love you can’t see.”

tears were streaming at this point. and that’s when will was finished. he climbed onto his bike, taking off into the pouring rain. his wheels swiveled and his hands took a moment to catch balance of the bars, but before mike knew it, the smaller boy was out of sight.

that was the day will had seen the devil.