The New Recruit

The chapter has been revised

Motherbase

12:43

"Welcome back sergeant," called major Oliver. Jonas walked out of the Blackhawk, eyeing the person in front of him. Oliver has been Jonas's commanding officer for years. The man was on the short terms of height but if you angered him. Well, prepare for a bad time. "I hoped the mission wasn't that bad," he asked as Jonas walked to him.

Jonas scoffed, "Bad as destroying a tank with a block of C4. Give me a break."

Oliver laughed," Nothing can seem to kill you, Reaper."

Jonas glared at the major. Reaper was a nickname the soldiers at based called because of his effectiveness and absurd kill count. The name was so feared by the NPR, that there is a bounty on his head. Even his allies feared his name to an extent. Jonas hated being called the 'Reaper'.

Oliver raised his hands in surrender," Sorry sorry. I won't say it again." Jonas huffed and looked away. "Come walk with me," Oliver asked walking forward with Jonas in tow. Soldiers moved to the sides as the two men walked past them, murmuring and whispering about seeing the 'Reaper' and such.

Jonas irritably looked at his commanding officer. "When you tell me to walk with you, you usually want to talk about something. So spit it out already," said Jonas

Oliver sighed," Remember your old squad?"

Jonas froze at his question. Heart dropping to the deepest pit in his stomach. "Why do you want to know that," he asked angrily.

"You still blamed yourself, don't ya," he asked looking forward, "Listen, it wasn't your fault. Don't pull yourself down because of that."

Jonas looked at his feet. He really wanted to believe the major but his conscience would let him do so. "I know you didn't ask me to walk with you, so we can just dwell in the past. What are you trying to do," looking back up. The major stopped walking. They now stood in front of Jonas's private quarters.

"If you follow me I'll show you," he said. Jonas was confused. It was his quarters he was following the major him and what is he going to show him inside? Jonas walked in with the major and stared inside. Sitting on his bed was a girl with blazing red hair swinging her legs about.

"Major."

"Yes?"

"Why is there a girl on my bed?"

"Glad you asked," he clasped his hands together, "that's your new partner." Jonas looked at the major, eyes wide open. "At one point you have to of the antisocial shell you built around yourself," grinned Oliver. The girl stood and walked up to the two men. She raised her hand to shake Jonas's.

"Private Laura Volk, ready for tasking," she announced. With an elbow from the major, he hesitantly shook her hand. "Nice to meet you, Jonas," she said.

The major yelled as he walked out the door, " I'll order another bed so, you better acquaint yourselves, bye."

Jonas stared at the recruit. She did the same. His brown met her blue. "As long you serve with me you will call me Sarge or sergeant Ru. Got that?" She nodded. "Good, after lunch I'm going to evaluate your skills, make sure you're ready."

Her eyes sparkled," yes sir!"

Jonas sighed at her enthusiasm," Then let's go eat lunch." The pair walked out of his quarters. As they walked, they gained the attention of soldiers on base. Murmuring and gossip shook the base that day.

"Look, Reaper got himself a girl!"

"Is she new?"

"That poor girl."

Jonas began to become irritated at the banter as they walked towards the mess hall. An awkward silence overtook them as they opened the front door and walked inside. Grabbing their food and settling down at a table in a corner, they began to talk.

"Where are you from?" questioned Jonas

"I come from New York, sir"

"Why did you join up?"

Laura smiled taking a bite of her sandwich, "I came for an adventure."

Jonas looked at her perplexed, "An adventure?"

"Yes. I always wanted to visit other places and not be trapped in a single room apartment down in the slums. Jonas stared at her. He envied her. She hasn't seen the horrors of war. Hell, not even actual combat! She grinned,"Why do they call you the 'Reaper'?"

"Why do you want to know that?"

"I heard some talk as we were walking"

Jonas sighed, "Don't worry about it. It's just some silly nickname" Jonas ate the rest of his lunch. "Finish up and follow me," Jonas motioned. Laura stood up and followed him towards the range.

Stepping up to the counter he picked up an M16 and a single clip. He walked to one of the empty booths and sent a paper target downrange. "I want you to hit that target 20 yards down," handing her the rifle, "let's see if you're proficient with a rifle."

She nodded, "Alright let's do this!" Raising the rifle to her shoulder. 'Piece of cake!' she thought and let loose a stream bullets across the firing range. Looking at the target, Jonas facepalmed. Out of the 30 bullets she fired only 10 hits were shown on the paper target. She chuckled lightly seeing his reaction. "Oops."

Jonas sighed for the umpteenth time. This was going to be a long day.